It’s time to bust out the BBQ. Hot dogs are a staple of the summer season, but with keto many people decide to skip the bun. Using cheese based dough to wrap around your hot dog is an ideal option to get in some extra fat and enjoy a bun.
Let’s talk toppings. You could use any of your favorite meats or veggies really, but today I decided to try a ‘pizza’ inspired hot dog. Specifically Hawaiian – with pineapple, ham, and bacon! I also topped it with some sriracha mayo. You could also use some sugar-free ketchup and mustard. However, for this recipe and nutrition it’s based on Hawaiian toppings with mayo.
In this recipe I used fresh pineapple chunks, which is roughly 10 carbs per ½ cup. If you can’t find it fresh, you can use canned. Just know that it may contain more sugar. Half a cup of canned pineapple is roughly 15 net carbs.
Yields 6 servings of Hawaiian Hot Dogs
- ¾ cup almond flour
- 2 cups shredded skim mozzarella cheese
- 6 jumbo all-beef hot dogs
- ½ cup fresh pineapple chunks
- 6 slices ham, diced
- 6 slices bacon, chopped
- 6 tablespoons Sarayo
1. In a non-stick pan over medium heat, melt the mozzarella cheese and stir in the almond flour until it forms a dough.
2. Place the dough between two pieces of parchment paper and roll until flat.
3. Using a 6 inch bowl or pot lid, cut out 6 circles.
4. Place parchment paper on top of a baking sheet. Lay out the circles of dough. Bake at 350°F for 10 minutes.
5. Put your hot dog in the middle and wrap the bread around it. Top with the pineapple, ham, and bacon!
This makes a total of 6 servings of Hawaiian Hot Dogs. Each serving comes out to be 512.17 Calories, 41.7g Fats, 7.62g Net Carbs, and 24.93g Protein.
|Hawaiian Hot Dogs||Calories||Fats(g)||Carbs(g)||Fiber(g)||Net Carbs(g)||Protein(g)|
|¾ cup almond flour||480||42||18||9||9||18|
|2 cups shredded skim mozzarella cheese||523||33.92||13.86||0||13.86||40.64|
|6 jumbo all-beef hot dogs||1200||102||6||0||6||60|
|½ cup fresh pineapple chunks||41||0.1||10.82||1.2||9.62||0.45|
|6 slices ham, diced||83||3.15||0.55||0||0.55||13.14|
|6 slices bacon, chopped||266||21.03||0.66||0||0.66||17.36|
|6 tablespoons sarayo||480||48||6||0||6||0|