This roasted glazed chicken is faintly sweet, sticky, but flavored with savory five-spice powder. Five spice powder is created with cloves, cinnamon, star anise, pepper, and fennel. It goes perfectly with cauliflower fried rice, or roasted broccoli.
The chicken will take about an hour and a half to roast, but it’s a great budget recipe that could potentially feed you all week long. You will need an oven-safe roasting rack or a quantity of aluminum foil.
Yields 8 servings of Five Spice Glazed Chicken
- 1 whole chicken
- 1/3 cup soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon Swerve confectioners
- 6 slices ginger
- 1 teaspoon five spice powder
- 2 tablespoons sugar-free maple syrup
1. In a large Ziploc bag combine the soy sauce, Swerve, sugar-free maple syrup, ginger slices, and remaining five spice powder.
2. Remove any giblets from inside of the chicken. Sprinkle half a teaspoon of the five spice powder into the inside.
3. Place the chicken inside the bag and turn to full coat. Marinade overnight, turning occasionally
4. When it’s time to bake preheat your oven to 350°F. Roll up 3-4 foil balls, or use a roasting rack to place the chicken over a baking sheet. You want to have some air flow under the chicken.
5. Tuck the wings under the chicken, then cut holes near the bottom of the chicken to secure the legs.
6. Roast with whatever vegetables you plan on serving for 20 minutes.
7. After 20 minutes baste the chicken with some of the grease that has collected below the chicken. If there’s not enough to use then feel free to add a little oil.
8. Cook for two more 20 minute intervals, and baste, until the chicken has cooked for 1 hour. While you are doing this place the rest of the marinade in a small pot on the stove. Cook it down a bit so that it thickens up. Be sure to whisk often, it burns easily.
9. After the chicken has cooked for an hour then start basting it every 10 minutes, for an additional half hour. Use the thickened marinade to baste during this last half hour. Use a thermometer to check that the chicken has reached 165°F.
This makes a total of 8 servings of Five Spice Glazed Chicken. Each serving comes out to be 258.25 Calories, 17.74g Fats, 0.79g Net Carbs, and 22.29g Protein.
|Five Spice Glazed Chicken||Calories||Fats(g)||Carbs(g)||Fiber(g)||Net Carbs(g)||Protein(g)|
|1 whole (920 g) chicken||1978||138.55||0||0||0||171.12|
|1/3 cup soy sauce||45||0.48||4.15||0.7||3.45||6.85|
|1 tablespoon Swerve confectioners||0||0||0||0||0||0|
|6 slices ginger||9||0.08||1.95||0.2||1.75||0.2|
|1 teaspoon five spice powder||6||0.08||1.29||0.3||0.99||0.16|
|2 tablespoons sugar-free maple syrup||28||2.695||0.24||0.08||0.16||0.02|