Whether its barbecue or snow season, coleslaw is always a staple for an easy salad or side item. Traditional coleslaw is made with sugar, vinegar, and loads of veggies. Though it could be fairly low in calories, it could also pack a whopping 20 or more carbs per ½ cup serving!
This fresh low-carb take on a family favorite combines the powerful flavors of cilantro, avocado oil, and lime with a hearty, fiber-packed cabbage mix. The dressing is a variation of homemade mayonnaise using a whole raw egg, thinned out with avocado oil and lime juice to make a full fat dressing with notes of cumin and a kick of chili powder!
If raw egg makes you a little uneasy, check the notes for a mayonnaise variation!
Yields 6 servings of Fiesta Slaw with Avocado Lime Dressing
- ½ medium cabbage
- ½ cup shredded red cabbage
- 1 large red bell pepper
- 1 large egg, or an alternative*
- 1 cup avocado oil, omit if skipping egg*
- ½ medium lime, juice reserved
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon cilantro, finely chopped, plus more to garnish
- 1 teaspoon salt
*If using a raw egg makes you uncomfortable, substitute with 1 cup avocado mayonnaise (or traditional mayonnaise) and omit oil. Keep in mind; this will change the fat content but not the carbohydrates and the dressing will be much thicker so thin with a bit of water if you’d like. If you have difficulty finding avocado oil, a mild olive oil will also work.
1. Cut the cabbage into thin strip or shred. Do the same for purple cabbage unless using pre-cut.
2. Cut the red bell pepper from end to end and remove stem and seeds. Slice or julienne the strips to desired thickness.
3. Combine the vegetables in a large bowl refrigerate while you prepare the dressing.
1. Add egg and oil into a tall, narrow jar or blender cup.
2. Slowly pour in lime juice, allowing the liquids to naturally settle.
3. Add chopped cilantro and spices to the blender cup or jar.
4. If using a stick blender (also known as immersion blender), begin by inserting the base into the bottom of the cup and turn on high. Keep the blade at the bottom of the cup and move back and forth gently. Once the mixture is well blended, slowly pull the base up and down until creamy.
5. Pour the dressing over the salad and toss gently. Top with fresh cilantro.
This makes a total of 6 servings of Fiesta Slaw with Avocado Lime Dressing. Each serving comes out to be 365.5 Calories, 37.37g Fat, 4.49g Net Carbs, and 5.1g Protein.
|Fiesta Slaw with Avocado Lime Dressing||Calories||Fats(g)||Carbs(g)||Fiber(g)||Net Carbs(g)||Protein(g)|
|½ medium (454 g) cabbage||114||0.45||26.33||11.3||15.03||5.81|
|½ cup shredded red cabbage||11||0.06||2.58||0.7||1.88||16.22|
|1 large (164 g) red bell pepper||51||0.49||9.89||3.4||6.49||1.62|
|1 large egg||72||4.75||0.36||0||0.36||6.28|
|1 cup avocado oil||1927||218||0||0||0||0|
|Juice of ½ lime||6||0.02||1.85||0.1||1.75||0.09|
|1 clove garlic, minced||4||0.01||0.99||0.1||0.89||0.19|
|½ teaspoon chili powder||4||0.19||0.67||0.5||0.17||0.18|
|½ teaspoon cumin||4||0.25||0.45||0.1||0.35||0.2|
|1 tablespoon finely chopped cilantro||0||0.01||0.04||0||0.04||0.02|