This easy dinner recipe lightly “breads” chicken breasts and smothers with onions, red enchilada sauce, and cheese! It’s all the delicious flavors of homemade chicken enchiladas, but without having to bother with tortillas or rolling everything up. Fresh out of the oven, this hot and bubbly skillet is perfect for serving with zucchini noodles or a side salad.
The breading procedure is very simple with only two steps. You’ll only need some almond flour and a few eggs. I used a canned enchilada sauce to keep things simple, but homemade is always best. I think green enchilada sauce would be delicious as well.
In the pictures I used cilantro “micro greens.” You can use regular cilantro, that’s just what was available at the store when I made this.
Yields 4 servings of Enchilada Skillet Chicken
- 1 pound (about 2) chicken breasts
- ½ cup almond flour
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon butter
- ½ cup red enchilada sauce
- ¼ cup shredded Mexican blend cheese
- ¼ cup diced onion
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Cilantro to taste
1. Split the chicken breasts, horizontally, into two even pieces. (I had another small piece of chicken in this package, so there are some extra pieces here.) Preheat your skillet over medium-high heat, and turn your oven on to 400°F.
2. Season both sides of the chicken with salt and pepper.
3. Press into the almond flour and evenly coat both sides.
4. Whisk the two eggs together, then dip the chicken into the egg and coat both sides.
5. Lay the chicken down into the pan and brown on both sides. I do two at a time then place the finished pieces on a plate while I cook the next batch. Don’t worry about cooking the chicken through, just brown the coating.
6. If some of the egg has gotten stuck on the pan you will want to deglaze it with some water and wipe it out. When all the pieces are browned, return the chicken to the skillet.
7. Pour ¼ cup red enchilada sauce over the top of the chicken pieces.
8. Sprinkle on the ¼ cup of diced onion, and ¼ cup of shredded cheese.
9. Bake for 15-20 minutes, until hot and bubbly.
This makes a total of 4 servings of Enchilada Skillet Chicken. Each serving comes out to be 273.75 Calories, 13.98g Fats, 2.81g Net Carbs, and 31.93g Protein.
|Enchilada Skillet Chicken||Calories||Fats(g)||Carbs(g)||Fiber(g)||Net Carbs(g)||Protein(g)|
|1 pound (about 2) chicken breasts||544||11.88||0||0||0||102|
|¼ cup almond flour (about half is used)||160||14||6||3||3||6|
|2 large eggs||143||9.51||0.72||0||0.72||12.56|
|1 tablespoon butter||102||11.52||0.01||0||0.01||0.12|
|½ cup red enchilada sauce||30||1||6||2||4||0|
|¼ cup shredded Mexican blend cheese||100||7.98||0.49||0||0.49||6.59|
|¼ cup diced onion||16||0.04||3.74||0.7||3.04||0.44|