The holidays are right around the corner! For most of us that means lots of festive meals and get-togethers around the table. It can be hard to avoid all the unhealthy holiday dishes so plan ahead by making keto versions of your favorites. This creamed kale is so rich and decadent no one will know or even notice it’s low carb!
This recipe is a take on classic creamed spinach but uses its cousin kale instead. Kale is a hearty green full of vitamins and minerals. I find it stands up to all those creamy, cheesy, ingredients better than spinach and makes a more filling side dish. I like to use pre-chopped kale to save time, but fresh bunches of kale works too (just wash well and remove the tough stems). Or use frozen if you can find it!
I like to add just a touch of nutmeg to this dish. It sounds odd, but the nutmeg gives a subtle unique flavor and really takes it to the next level. The almond flour and Parmesan topping give a little bit of crunch to cut through all that creamy goodness. This recipe can be prepped ahead for easy meal planning. Just pop it in the oven to heat through and toast the top when ready to serve!
This creamed kale recipe isn’t just for the holidays, it makes a great side dish any time of year. Serve it beside a perfectly cooked steak for a meal that would rival any steakhouse!
Yields 8 servings of Creamed Kale
- 16 ounces kale, stems removed and chopped
- 3 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 small shallots, minced
- ½ tablespoon minced garlic
- 6 ounces cream cheese
- ½ cup chicken broth
- ½ cup heavy whipping cream
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- ½ teaspoon xanthan gum
- 2 tablespoons almond flour
- ¼ cup grated parmesan cheese
1. Preheat the oven to 375F degrees then grease a casserole dish.
2. Place the chopped kale and a little water in a large microwave-safe bowl. Cover and steam in the microwave until the kale starts to soften, about 4 minutes. This can also be done on the stovetop or in a steamer. Once steamed drain all the excess water and set aside.
3. Heat the olive oil and 1/3 of the butter in a skillet over medium-low heat. Add the minced shallot and garlic and cook until soft and fragrant, about 3 minutes.
4. Add the cream cheese and broth to the pan, whisking to combine as the cream cheese melts. Let the mixture come to a simmer and stir until the cream cheese is fully incorporated.
5. Add the heavy cream, pinch of nutmeg, salt, and pepper to taste.
6. Whisk in the xanthan gum and let simmer until the sauce is thickened (about 3-5 minutes.)
7. Add the kale to the skillet and toss to coat.
8. Transfer the kale mixture to the prepared baking dish. In a small bowl melt the remaining tablespoon of butter. Add the almond flour and Parmesan cheese and stir to combine.
9. Sprinkle the almond flour mixture over the top of the casserole. *
10. Bake in the oven until heated through and the topping is golden brown, about 15 minutes.
*Make ahead tip – Prepare the casserole up to this point, cover and keep in the refrigerator for up to 24 hours. Pop it in the oven to heat through and brown when ready to eat.
This makes a total of 8 servings of Creamed Kale. Each serving comes out to be 227.25 Calories, 21.35g Fats, 3.32g Net Carbs, and 4.98g Protein.
|Creamed Kale||Calories||Fats(g)||Carbs(g)||Fiber(g)||Net Carbs(g)||Protein(g)|
|16 ounces kale, chopped||159||6.75||20.02||18.6||1.42||13.23|
|3 tablespoons butter||305||34.55||0.03||0||0.03||0.36|
|1 tablespoon olive oil||119||13.5||0||0||0||0|
|4 tablespoons shallots||29||0.04||6.72||1.3||5.42||1|
|½ tablespoon minced garlic||6||0.02||1.39||0.1||1.29||0.27|
|6 ounces cream cheese||595||58.58||9.39||0||9.39||10.46|
|½ cup chicken broth||7||0.26||0.55||0||0.55||0.8|
|½ cup heavy whipping cream||405||42.94||3.38||0||3.38||3.38|
|¼ teaspoon nutmeg||3||0.2||0.27||0.1||0.17||0.03|
|½ teaspoon xanthan-gum||5||0||1.16||1.16||0||0.17|
|2 tablespoons almond flour||80||7||3||1.5||1.5||3|
|¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese||105||6.96||3.48||0||3.48||7.11|