Everyone knows the level of tasty deliciousness that is a classic BLT. As a ketoer, you may also know the lower carb version of a BLT which is bun-less and may or may not include the healthy fats of a creamy avocado. What makes this Avocado BLT Salad stand out from the rest? The drizzle of sweet and tangy ranch dressing made with caramelized onion and bacon drippings!
The dressing is the real star of this salad. Made in small batches, it’s easy to whip up and have just enough for two or three salad portions without any waste. I personally like a thinner dressing so I can have every bite of lettuce saturated in dressing and due to the addition of bacon fat, this dressing gets a little thick. If you are like me and like an easy pour dressing, I recommend the addition of a tablespoon of water to thin it out. If not, it’s still delicious!
Here’s a quick meal prep tip! When making your morning bacon or prepping for a future meal, fry extra bacon and reserve about 1 tablespoon of the drippings. Use it later to sauté your onion and make your dressing!
Yields 2 servings of Avocado BLT Salad with Sweet Onion Bacon Ranch
- 4 strips bacon
- 1 tablespoon grease
- 2 tablespoons diced onion
- 2 teaspoon sour cream
- 1 tablespoon mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon water*
- ½ teaspoon minced fresh dill
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 4 cups chopped romaine lettuce
- ½ medium avocado, sliced
- 2 ounces cherry tomatoes
*If you prefer your dressing drippy and pourable, you may need to thin with 1-2 tbsp water. This dressing can become very thick due to the glorious addition of bacon grease.
1. Fry bacon in a large skillet over medium-low heat.
2. Once the bacon is crisp on both sides, remove from the pan to cool. Chop the bacon and set aside until you are ready to assemble your salad.
3. Using the remaining bacon fat add the onion to the pan and cook on medium heat to caramelize.
4. To make the dressing, combine the bacon drippings and onion in a jar or bowl with the dressing ingredients.
5. Mix well to combine. The dressing will be very thick due to the bacon fat and mayo. If you prefer a thinner dressing, thin the mixture with the water.
6. In a large bowl, layer your salad of romaine leaves, cherry tomatoes, avocado, and bacon.
7. Drizzle the dressing and serve!
This makes a total of 2 servings of Avocado BLT Salad with Sweet Onion Bacon Ranch. Each serving comes out to be 338 Calories, 30.22g Fat, 4.86g Net Carbs, and 8.14g Protein.
|Avocado BLT with Bacon Ranch Dressing||Calories||Fats(g)||Carbs(g)||Fiber(g)||Net Carbs(g)||Protein(g)|
|4 strips bacon||178||14.02||0.44||0||0.44||11.58|
|1 tablespoon grease||116||12.84||0||0||0||0|
|2 tablespoons diced onion||8||0.02||1.87||0.3||1.57||0.22|
|2 teaspoon sour cream||16||1.53||0.37||0||0.37||0.19|
|1 tablespoon mayonnaise||94||10.33||0.08||0||0.08||0.13|
|2 tablespoons heavy cream||102||10.52||0.85||0||0.85||0.85|
|½ teaspoon minced fresh dill||0||0||0.03||0||0.03||0.01|
|½ teaspoon garlic powder||5||0.01||1.13||0.1||1.03||0.26|
|¼ teaspoon pepper||1||0.02||0.37||0.1||0.27||0.06|
|4 cups chopped romaine lettuce||32||0.56||6.19||3.9||2.29||0.07|
|½ medium avocado, sliced||114||10.48||5.88||4.6||1.28||1.33|
|2 ounces cherry tomatoes||10||0.11||2.2||0.7||1.5||1.58|