For a lot of us, hectic schedules can mean skimping on time to prepare a good, hearty meal. That’s why it’s important to have this super simple Chicken Cordon Bleu and Kale soup recipe in your arsenal for nights when you want an easy bowl of comfort food!
So how is it possible to cozy up with a cup of this creamy Chicken Cordon Bleu and Kale Soup in less than an hour? It is as simple as utilizing some of the ingredients you may already have lying around as leftovers in your fridge! A traditional chicken cordon bleu can take hours of prepping, assembly and baking and though it’s worth it, this soup allows you to enjoy all of those flavors with minimal effort.
The secret begins with using a simple grocery store rotisserie chicken. Most grocery delis will carry a version of a rotisserie chicken either whole or in pieces. You may be able to find them pre-cut and shredded in the perfect portion for this soup, which will cut your time in half. If you have a difficult time finding the pre-made chicken, cooked chicken breast leftovers are perfect for this soup. Just dice or shred it with no extra fuss. I also like to use pre-cooked ham, but if you are making a ham for dinner or a holiday, reserve some pieces to make this soup later in the week! I love the addition of kale to this soup because it’s so nutrient dense and really holds up to the creamy texture of the soup. It’s even better reheated the next day!
Yields 6 servings of Chicken Cordon Bleu and Kale Soup
- 6 small strips bacon
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 6 ounces cream cheese
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 2 cups shredded Swiss cheese
- 1 cup cubed ham
- 6 ounces shredded chicken breast
- 2 cups chopped kale, stems removed
1. Fry bacon over medium-low heat until crisp. Roughly chop the bacon and set aside, reserving about ¼ to garnish the soup.
2. In a large soup pot heat the heavy cream, butter, and cream cheese over medium until all parts are evenly melted.
3. Pour chicken stock into the pot and bring to a simmer.
4. Add the shredded Swiss cheese to the soup base and stir until it’s completely melted.
5. Mix in the cubed ham, chicken and ¾ of the bacon and bring the soup back to a simmer.
6. Stir in the kale and cook with the lid off for about 10 minutes or until the leaves begin to soften.
7. Serve hot with the remaining crumbled bacon on top!
This makes a total of 6 single-servings of Chicken Cordon Bleu and Kale Soup. Each serving comes out to be 580.17 Calories, 50.74g Fat, 3.93g Net Carbs, and 27.43g Protein.
|Chicken Cordon Bleu and Kale Soup||Calories||Fats(g)||Carbs(g)||Fiber(g)||Net Carbs(g)||Protein(g)|
|2 cups heavy whipping cream||1618||171.74||13.52||0||13.52||13.52|
|3 ounces cream cheese||298||29.29||4.69||0||4.69||5.23|
|1 tablespoon butter||102||11.52||0.01||0||0.01||0.12|
|1.5 cups shredded Swiss cheese||637||50.2||2.33||0||2.33||43.68|
|2 cups chicken stock||30||1.05||2.19||0||2.19||3.19|
|6 strips (48.6g) Bacon||266||21.03||0.66||0||0.66||17.36|
|1 cup cubed ham||282||13.93||0||0||0||36.49|
|6 ounces shredded chicken breast||233||5.03||0||0||0||43.74|
|2 cups chopped kale||15||0.63||1.86||1.7||0.16||1.23|
|Per Servings (/6)||580.17||50.74||4.21||0.28||3.93||27.43|