Congee is an Asian porridge that is great for cold weather or as a fresh, zesty dinner appetizer. The ingredients such as cauliflower rice and chicken stock can be made from scratch or store bought to reduce time. Optional toppings for congee include hard-boiled eggs, sliced scallions, and fried garlic.
Yields 3 servings of Cauliflower Rice Congee.
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- ½ medium shallot, diced
- 2 medium cloves garlic, minced
- 1 medium ginger knob, sliced
- ½ pound chicken thighs, skin and bone intact
- 2 cups cauliflower rice
- 4 cups chicken stock
- ¼ cup fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon calamansi juice*
- 1 teaspoon xanthan gum
*This is similar to lime juice. You can substitute lime juice if you are unable to find it.
1. Preheat a pot. Heat the coconut oil. Add shallots, garlic, and ginger. Sauté until aromatic.
2. Add the chicken thighs to pot. Sear both sides.
3. Add cauliflower rice to the pot.
4. Stir cauliflower to combine with shallots, garlic, ginger, and chicken. Cook until lightly toasted.
5. Add stock to the pot and let the pot boil.
6. Reduce pot to a simmer until reduced.
7. Flavor pot with fish sauce, black pepper, and citrus.
8. Slowly whisk Xanthan gum into the pot. Continue to cook pot until the congee has thickened to desired consistency. Serve congee hot. Add optional toppings to taste.
This makes 3 servings of Cauliflower Rice Congee [without toppings]. Each serving comes out to be 312.67 Calories, 85.52g Fats, 8.62g Net Carbs, and 17.59g Protein.
|Cauliflower Rice Congee||Calories||Fats(g)||Carbs(g)||Fiber(g)||Net Carbs(g)||Protein(g)|
|2 tablespoons coconut oil||243||215.95||0||0||0||0|
|2 tablespoons diced shallot||14||0.02||3.36||0.6||2.76||0.5|
|2 medium cloves garlic||9||0.03||1.98||0.1||1.88||0.38|
|1 medium ginger knob, sliced||9||0.08||1.95||0.2||1.75||0.2|
|½ pound chicken thighs||499||37.54||0.56||0||0.56||37.34|
|2 cups cauliflower rice||54||0.6||10.64||4.3||6.34||4.11|
|4 cups chicken stock||60||2.1||4.4||0||4.4||6.4|
|¼ cup fish sauce||19||0.01||1.97||0||1.97||2.73|
|1 tablespoon black pepper||17||0.22||4.41||1.7||2.71||0.72|
|1 tablespoon lime juice||4||0.01||1.26||0.1||1.16||0.06|
|1 teaspoon xanthan gum||10||0||2.31||0||2.31||0.33|