Summer is in full swing, for me anyway, and there are very few recipes that I am willing to crank up my oven and sweat it out just for something sweet. These lemon squares are one of those recipes. Not just because lemon squares (aka lemon bars) are a beloved dessert staple that has transcended time and potlucks everywhere, but because these are Toasted Coconut Lemon Squares and everyone knows that the sweet and salty crunch of coconut makes everything better.
Traditional lemon squares are gooey and tangy and guaranteed to make a mess of your fingers. This spin on an old classic combines the bite of a lemon with a dairy free, egg based, custard style filling which is topped with crispy toasted coconut chips and packed with protein. The creamier, heavy filling keeps the lemon coconut crust from getting too soggy and flimsy. Win-win!
Slice these squares into 9 servings for a calorie dense breakfast, or into 12 bars for a lighter keto treat! If you don’t mind using real milk, the amounts are the same but remember that the fat and calories will change by using whole fat milk. You can use unsweetened toasted coconut, but I highly recommend toasted coconut chips. They are readily available at most grocery stores. The chips have zero sugar added and are crispier than toasting your own coconut!
Yields 12 servings of Toasted Coconut Lemon Squares
- 1 cup almond flour
- ¼ cup coconut flour
- ¼ cup erythritol
- ½ tablespoon lemon zest, see note*
- 3 tablespoons butter, softened
- ¾ cup erythritol
- 1 tablespoon butter, softened
- ½ cup almond milk
- 1 cup lemon juice
- ½ tablespoon lemon zest, see note*
- 5 large eggs, beaten
- ¾ cup toasted coconut chips, unsweetened
- 2 tablespoons almond flour
- ½ tablespoon butter
*The lemon zest adds necessary flavor. Add more or less depending on the strength of lemon flavor you desire.
1. Heat oven to 350°F and prepare a 9×9 inch pan with non-stick cooking spray. In a large mixing bowl combine the almond flour, coconut flour, sweetener, and lemon zest then stir until all ingredients are uniformly mixed.
2. Cut the softened butter into the flour mix with a fork. You may want to dig in with your hands to thoroughly incorporate the butter into the flour.
3. Press the dough into the prepared baking dish and bake for 15 minutes or until crust is golden. Set aside while you prepare the filling.
1. Bring a saucepan to medium heat and add butter, erythritol, lemon zest, and milk. Stir until the butter and sugar has been completely dissolved.
2. Pour in lemon juice. Be sure to use a strainer if you are using freshly squeezed juice!
3. Slowly whisk in the eggs and stir continuously over medium low heat until the mixture begins to thicken. This should talk about 5 to 10 minutes.
4. Transfer the lemon filling into your crust and return to the oven for 15 minutes. Prepare the topping.
1. In a small food processor or blender pulse the toasted coconut, almond flour, and butter until you have a grainy mixture.
2. Sprinkle topping on your lemon squares and return to the hot oven to crisp the top for approximately 5 minutes, or 1 minute under a hot broiler. Be careful not to burn the crumble!
3. Let cool before serving.
This makes a total of 12 servings of Toasted Coconut Lemon Squares. Each serving comes out to be 162.5 Calories, 13.71g Fat, 4.13 g Net Carbs, and 5.41g Protein.
|Toasted Coconut Lemon Squares||Calories||Fats(g)||Carbs(g)||Fiber(g)||Net Carbs(g)||Protein(g)|
|1 cup 2 tablespoons (126 g) almond flour||765||67.5||22.5||13.5||9||27|
|¼ (22.5 g) cup coconut flour||75||4.5||12||9||3||3|
|1 cup erythritol||0||0||0||0||0||0|
|1 tablespoon lemon zest*||1||0.1||0.3||0.2||0.1||0.1|
|4.5 tablespoons butter||458||51.83||0.04||0||0.04||0.54|
|½ cup unsweetened almond milk||14||1.25||0.5||0.5||0||0.5|
|1 cup lemon juice||54||0.59||16.84||0.7||16.14||0.85|
|5 large (250 g) eggs, beaten||358||23.77||1.8||0||1.8||31.4|
|¾ cup toasted coconut chips||225||15||24||4.5||19.5||1.5|