A Tex-Mex style casserole packed with bell pepper, green onion, cilantro, and jalapeno, then topped with cheddar cheese. Great served with a dollop of sour cream, or even extra jalapeno if you can handle the heat! If you love Mexican flavors, and meatloaf, then this recipe will be one you enjoy too.
To make this meal fast we used a food processor, but you could also chop everything by hand if you don’t happen to have one. You want the vegetables to be a chunky, colorful, and flavor-packed edition to the casserole. Not a puree!
Yields 4 servings of Tex Mex Casserole
- 1 ¼ pounds ground beef
- 1 large egg
- 1 ½ teaspoons ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 ½ teaspoons salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
Food Processor Ingredients
- ½ medium red bell pepper
- 3 stalks green onion
- 1 medium jalapeno
- ¼ cup packed cilantro
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 ounces shredded cheddar cheese
*Don’t over-process the vegetables in the food processor. You want them to add color and texture to the casserole.
1. Preheat oven to 350F. Cut the stems off the red pepper and jalapeno. Scrape out the seeds if you do not like things spicy. Add the red pepper, green onion, jalapeno, cilantro, and olive oil to a food processor. Pulse until you have a finely diced mixture.
2. In a mixing bowl, combine casserole ingredients with the food processor ingredients. Mix well with your hands then press into a casserole dish.
3. Sprinkle cheddar cheese over the top.
4. Bake for 30 minutes, then broil for another 5 minutes to brown the cheese on top. Allow to cool for 10 minutes before serving.
This makes a total of 4 servings of Tex Mex Casserole. Each serving comes out to be 592.65 Calories, 42.23g Fats, 3.13g Net Carbs, and 47g Protein.
|Tex Mex Casserole||Calories||Fats(g)||Carbs(g)||Fiber(g)||Net Carbs(g)||Protein(g)|
|1 ¼ pounds ground beef||1542||98||0||0||0||153|
|1 large egg||72||4.8||0.4||0||0.4||6.3|
|1 ½ teaspoons ground cumin||12||0.7||1.4||0.3||1.1||0.6|
|½ teaspoon garlic powder||5.2||0||1.2||0.1||1.1||0.3|
|2 teaspoons dried oregano||7.4||0.1||1.9||1.2||0.7||0.3|
|½ medium red bell pepper||16||0.1||3.8||0.7||3.1||0.5|
|3 stalks green onion||14||0.1||3.3||1.2||2.1||0.8|
|1 medium jalapeno||4.1||0.1||0.9||0.4||0.5||0.1|
|¼ cup packed cilantro||0.9||0||0.1||0.1||0||0.1|
|2 tablespoons olive oil||239||27||0||0||0||0|
|4 ounces shredded cheddar cheese||458||38||3.5||0||3.5||26|