Baking fish in parchment paper might seem like an odd thing to do, but it uses steam to create perfectly tender cooked salmon. Add in some eggs and spinach, and you’ve got a simple yet nutritious meal that can be enjoyed any time of the day.
The American Heart Association encourages eating two serves of oily fish, like salmon, a week. This is due to the high amounts of omega-3 fatty acids in the salmon, which can significantly improve heart health, reduce inflammation, and lower cholesterol levels. The clean taste of salmon pairs perfectly with the garlic, basil, and sliced lemon.
Eggs are also a vital part of this recipe. Apart from being delicious and versatile, you can enjoy eggs any time of the day. Eggs also provide an inexpensive protein option for the keto diet, as there is about 7g of protein in a medium-sized egg. The egg yolk also contains good amounts of B vitamins and selenium, so don’t throw it away!
This recipe calls for frozen spinach for its convenience. However, feel free to replace it with fresh spinach if you have any on hand. Note that this might change the cooking times, so adjust accordingly. The cooking time will also be affected by the size and thickness of the salmon fillets, so it’s essential to keep an eye on the fish during the baking process.
Don’t forget to top with fresh chives before serving. Enjoy!
Yields 2 servings of Keto Salmon en Papillote with Spinach and Eggs
- 2 large egg
- 5 ounce frozen spinach
- 1/2 medium yellow onion, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon fresh garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoon fresh basil, chopped
- 1/2 medium lemon, sliced
- 12 ounce salmon
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 4 tablespoon butter
- 2 tablespoon fresh chives, thinly sliced
1. Measure out and prepare all the ingredients. Preheat oven to 365F.
2. In a pot, boil water. Place eggs in the boiling water carefully. Let the eggs boil for 5 minutes, then take out of the pot and place in ice cold water.
3. Peel the eggs then chop the eggs up.
4. On a piece of parchment paper, place the frozen spinach in the middle and top with the chopped onion.
5. Then, add the chopped up eggs and salmon on top of the spinach and onion.
6. Put garlic, basil, and sliced lemons over the salmon. Season with salt and pepper and top it off with butter.
7. Fold the parchment paper over so all the ingredients are enclosed. Transfer this to a baking sheet and bake in the oven for 15 – 25 minutes.
8. Garnish with chives. Serve hot and enjoy!
This makes a total of 2 servings of Keto Salmon en Papillote with Spinach and Eggs. Each serving comes out to be 673 calories, 49.8g fat, 5.3g net carbs, and 48.1g protein.
|2.00 large egg||157||10.5||0.8||0||0.8||13.8|
|5.00 ounce frozen spinach||41||0.8||6||4.1||1.9||5.2|
|0.50 medium yellow onion||21||0.1||4.8||0.7||4.1||0.6|
|1.00 teaspoon fresh garlic||4||0||0.9||0.1||0.9||0.2|
|2.00 tablespoon fresh basil||1||0||0.1||0.1||0.0||0.1|
|0.50 medium lemon||12||0.1||3.9||1.2||2.7||0.5|
|12.00 ounce salmon||701||42||0||0||0||75.2|
|0.00 none salt and pepper||0||0||0||0||0||0|
|4.00 tablespoon butter||407||46||0||0||0||0.5|
|2.00 tablespoon fresh chives||2||0||0.3||0.2||0.1||0.2|
|Per Serving (/2)||673||49.8||8.4||3.1||5.3||48.1|