A keto salad doesn’t always have to have twelve different toppings or a long list of ingredients to be delicious, satisfying and nutrient dense! Sometimes the simplest of recipes can be a staple meal or an easy side to add with your favorite entrée.
This salad is packed with healthy fats and can be altered slightly to meet any of your flavor preferences. You can try Asiago in place of Parmesan cheese, or baby kale or arugula in place of spinach. The key to making a fat burning salad is to incorporate medium chain triglycerides that are easily converted to energy without being stored as excess fats. Some may prefer using MCT oil in place of Avocado oil for the dressing which would work well and have a mild flavor. Since MCT oil isn’t something readily available in most grocery stores, I find that avocado oil works well and adds a beautiful dimension of flavor.
Watercress is the powerhouse of this salad. The multitasking green is known for having antioxidant properties as well as being high in vitamins K, A, and C. It’s also versatile! Watercress can be eating in salads with other greens such as spinach or cooked into herb soups and stews.
Yields 4 servings of Spinach & Watercress Keto Salad
- 1 cup watercress
- 3 cups baby spinach
- 1 medium avocado, sliced
- ½ cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- ¼ cup avocado oil
- 1/8 cup lemon juice
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Optional: 1 tablespoon Mediterranean seasoning
1. Prepare the greens by washing and removing the stems of the watercress and spinach. Pat dry.
2. Combine the spinach and watercress on a large serving platter or large bowl.
3. Cut your avocado in half and remove the pit. Peel the skin from each side.
4. Slice the avocado in thin strips and set aside for topping the salad.
5. To prepare the dressing, add the lemon juice to the avocado oil and Mediterranean seasoning. Shake well.
6. Add shredded Parmesan, avocado, salt, and pepper to the spinach. Drizzle with the dressing and serve.
This makes a total of 4 servings of Spinach and Watercress Salad. Each serving comes out to be 203.75 Calories, 18.59 g Fat, 1.85 g Net Carbs, and 5.32 g Protein.
|Watercress Spinach Salad with Dressing||Calories||Fats(g)||Carbs(g)||Fiber(g)||Net Carbs(g)||Protein(g)|
|1 cup watercress||4||0.03||0.44||0.2||0.24||0.78|
|3 cups baby spinach||21||0.35||3.27||2||1.27||2.57|
|1 medium (136 g) avocado||227||20.96||11.75||9.2||2.55||2.67|
|½ cup shredded Parmesan cheese||166||10.94||1.36||0||1.36||15.14|
|¼ cup avocado oil||390||42||0||0||0||0|
|1/8 cup lemon juice||7||0.07||2.1||0.1||2||0.11|