This recipe started out as a chicken, bacon and broccoli skillet meal – but it turned out that I had no broccoli in the fridge when I went to add it. As it was during a snow and ice storm, I couldn’t just up and drive to the store – but the spinach came and saved the day! So, I decided to make it a bit heartier of a meal and transform it into a fully baked pot pie.
Oh – and the taste? Fantastic. Not to toot my own horn, but I’ve already made this twice – it’s that good. And yes, I only made this for the first time 3 nights ago 🙂 You and your family will love this keto dinner – so make sure you give it a try!
This dish also reheats beautifully and smells wonderful while doing so. Your entire office will be wondering what’s cooking, so you’ll have to be careful of those pesky fridge thieves!
Yields 8 servings of Skillet Chicken Pot Pie
- 6 small Chicken Thighs (de-boned and de-skinned)
- 5 slices Bacon
- 1 tsp. Onion Powder
- 1 tsp. Garlic Powder
- 3/4 tsp. Celery Seed
- 8 oz. Cream Cheese
- 4 oz. Cheddar Cheese
- 6 cups Spinach
- 1/4 cup Chicken Broth
- Salt and Pepper to Taste
- 1/3 cup Almond Flour
- 3 tbsp. Psyllium Husk Powder
- 3 tbsp. Butter
- 1 large Egg
- 1/4 cup Cream Cheese (~2 oz. by weight)
- 1/4 cup Cheddar Cheese
- 1/2 tsp. Paprika
- 1/4 tsp. Garlic Powder
- 1/4 tsp. Onion Powder
- Salt and Pepper to Taste
1. De-bone and de-skin the chicken thighs if you aren’t using boneless and skinless. Save the skin to cook in the oven and eat another time (20 mins at 425F). Cube up chicken thighs and season with salt and pepper.
2. In a hot, oven-safe pan (I used a ceramic cast iron skillet), add chicken thighs and season with spices. Let cook for a few minutes and brown on the outside.
3. Using some kitchen shears, cut bacon into the pan and let cook until browned. Pre-heat oven to 375F.
4. De-glaze the pan with chicken broth, then add cream cheese and cheddar cheese to the pan. Stir everything together well until cheese is melted.
5. Add spinach to pan and let wilt. Once wilted, stir together.
6. In the meantime, get together the crust ingredients. Put all dry ingredients into one bowl, and the cream cheese and cheddar in another. Microwave the cheese for about 30 seconds or until melted. Add the egg and cheese to the dry ingredients and mix together well.
7. Once all of the crust ingredients are mixed, form into a circle on a siltpat. Try to get it the same size as the pan.
8. Mix all ingredients in the pan together, then carefully invert the silpat over the pan and peel the silpat off. Try to keep the crust from ripping. If the crust rips, don’t panic. Continue to peel it off and correct the tear with your fingers.
9. Put pan in the oven and let cook for 15 minutes at 375F.
10. Remove from the oven, slice into 8 servings, and serve up!
This makes 8 total servings of Skillet Chicken Pot Pie. Each serving comes out to be 434 Calories, 35.6g Fats, 3.4g Net Carbs, and 20.4g Protein.
|Skillet Chicken Pot Pie||Calories||Fats (g)||Carbs (g)||Fiber (g)||Net Carbs (g)||Protein (g)|
|1/3 cup Almond Flour||211||18||8||4||4||8|
|3 tbsp. Psyllium Husk||90||0||24||21||3||0|
|3 tbsp. Butter||300||33||0||0||0||0|
|1 large Egg||70||5||0.5||0||0.5||6|
|1/4 cup Cream Cheese||200||18||2||0||2||4|
|1/4 cup Cheddar Cheese||114||9||0||0||0||7|
|1/2 tsp. Paprika||3||0||1||0||1||0|
|1/4 tsp. Garlic Powder||2||0||0||0||0||0|
|1/4 tsp. Onion Powder||2||0||0||0||0||0|
|6 Skinless Chicken Thighs||640||40||0||0||0||76|
|5 slices Bacon||517||51||0||0||0||13|
|1 tsp. Onion Powder||9||0||2||0||2||0|
|1 tsp. Garlic Powder||9||0||2||0||2||0|
|3/4 tsp. Celery Seed||6||0||1||0||1||0|
|8 oz. Cream Cheese||800||72||8||0||8||16|
|4 oz. Cheddar Cheese||456||38||1||0||1||28|
|6 cups Spinach||41||1||7||4||3||5|
|1/4 cup Chicken Broth||2||0||0||0||0||0|
|Salt and Pepper to Taste||3||0||0||0||0||0|
|Per Serving ( /8 )||434.4||35.6||7.1||3.6||3.4||20.4|