Yesterday, I posted the recipe for the Strawberry Chia Seed Jam. It seemed to have been a hit – and I’m so glad that so many of you tried and loved it! Today, we’re going to use that jam to make an absolutely epic strawberry shortcake. Between each layer of cake is a massive amount of whipped cream, strawberry chia seed jam (of course), and fresh sliced strawberries to give that elegant and classic look.
All in all, if you’re looking to impress someone, this would be a fantastic dessert. It takes a little time to put together, but the effort pays off tenfold in the end. The cake is slightly dry and crumbly, like I would expect with a traditional strawberry shortcake. The cream and jam, though, add that moist texture that you oh so need in a cakey dessert. The whipped cream finishes is all up with a rich, delicious, and airy texture that is just sublime.
When I put my cake together, I poured 1 tbsp. of heavy cream over the bottom half and the top half of the cake. This soaked into the cake and made it a little more moist. Traditionally, the cakey part of a strawberry shortcake is a little bit more on the dryer side, so if you’re not a huge fan of a more crumbly cake, then you can do this also. Make sure that you spread it out evenly over the top of each layer before you spread on the jam and pipe on the whipped cream.
I served this up at a party I was invited to, and since the theme was for summer – this was the perfect thing to bring. None of the people knew it was a low carb strawberry shortcake, and I even had 2 people ask me for the recipe! That one is always a slight win in the book of keto-ers when people are asking you for the recipe. What’s been the best recipe you’ve taken to a party or get-together? Let us know in the comments below!
Yields 6 slices of Low Carb Strawberry Shortcake
- 3.5 ounces strawberries
- ¼ cup Strawberry Chia Seed Jam
- ½ cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/3 cup Erythritol
- 1/4 tsp. Liquid Stevia
- 2/3 cup almond flour
- ½ cup butter
- 3 large eggs
- 1/3 cup erythritol
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon liquid Stevia
- 2 tablespoons psyllium husk powder
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 1 scoop unflavored protein powder
1. Bring ½ cup butter and 3 eggs to room temperature. Preheat oven to 350F.
3. Add 3 eggs and 1 tsp. Vanilla Extract to the butter mixture, then mix again.
4. In a mesh strainer, add all dry ingredients over the wet ingredients: 2/3 cup Almond Flour, 1 scoop Unflavored Protein Powder, 1/4 tsp. Salt, 2 tbsp. Psyllium Husk Powder, and 1/2 tsp. Baking Powder.
5. Tap the sides of the mesh strainer to sift the dry ingredients over the wet ingredients.
6. Mix everything together until smooth and no lumps appear. Then, pour into a greased 7 1/2″ round baking dish and smooth it out.
7. Bake for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown on the top.
8. Once mostly cooled, use a knife so dislodge the sides of the cake from the dish, flip, and remove from the baking dish. Let cool fully.
9. Slice 3.5 oz strawberries into thin slices. Then, slice the cake into 2 layers. Lay the strawberries around each half of the cake, then put 2 tbsp. Strawberry Chia Seed Jam on each half.
10. Whip up the whipped cream with sweetener of your choice and dollop it between the 2 slices. Form the cake by placing one slice on top of the other, then pipe the rest of the whipped cream over the top of the cake.
This makes 6 slices in total. Each slice comes out to be 347.13 Calories, 31.67g Fats, 4.16g Net Carbs, and 9.81g Protein.
|Low Carb Strawberry Shortcake||Calories||Fats(g)||Carbs(g)||Fiber(g)||Net Carbs(g)||Protein(g)|
|2/3 cup almond flour||422||36.96||15.84||7.9||7.94||15.84|
|½ cup butter||814||92.06||0.07||0||0.07||0.96|
|1 scoop unflavored protein powder||94||2||2||0||2||18|
|3 large eggs||214||14.27||1.08||0||1.08||18.84|
|1/3 cup erythritol||0||0||0||0||0||0|
|1 teaspoon vanilla extract||12||0||0.53||0||0.53||0|
|¼ teaspoon liquid Stevia||0||0||0||0||0||0|
|2 tablespoons psyllium husk powder||60||0||16||14||2||0|
|½ teaspoon baking powder||1||0||0.64||0||0.64||0|
|3.5 ounces strawberries||32||0.3||7.62||2||5.62||0.66|
|¼ cup Strawberry Chia Seed Jam||28.8||1.5||4.2||2.4||1.8||1.2|
|½ cup heavy whipping cream||405||42.94||3.26||0||3.26||3.38|