These low carb lemon poppyseed soufflés are a light and moist keto treat, perfect for dessert! An interesting twist on this recipe is combining cheese with a hint of sweetness. Ricotta cheese is delicate, fluffy and really adds to the texture of these low carb soufflés while adding a great dose of fat and protein.
Even without the sweetener, they have a natural sweetness of their own. Combing ricotta with lemon and a hint of sweetness results in a unique dessert that’s sure to please everyone’s palate. If you’re making these as a dessert course, make sure you pop them out of the oven just as you’re ready to serve (soufflés tend to sink!) and sprinkle them with powdered erythritol for an impressive presentation!
- 1 cup whole-milk ricotta
- 2 large eggs, separated
- ¼ cup erythritol
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon poppy seeds
1. Preheat your oven to 375°F and separate 2 eggs into 2 mixing bowls. With a clean, dry electric hand mixer, beat the egg whites until they’re foamy.
2. Add in 2 tablespoons of erythritol and beat until the egg whites become shiny and stiff peaks form.
3. In the other mixing bowl, cream together the egg yolks, ricotta cheese and the other 2 tablespoons of erythritol.
4. Into the egg yolk ricotta bowl, add the zest and juice of half a lemon.
5. Now add the vanilla extract and poppy seeds. Mix well to combine.
6. Fold the egg whites into the egg yolks half at a time, stirring gently.
7. Grease 4 ramekins and add your soufflé batter into each one. Gently shake and tap the ramekins to flatten out the tops of the soufflés. Bake for about 20 minutes. The soufflé tops should be set but slightly jiggly.
8. Remove from the oven when you’re ready to serve. Enjoy!
This makes a total of 4 Low Carb Lemon Poppy Soufflés. Each soufflé comes out to be 155.25 Calories, 11.02g Fats, 2.64g Net Carbs, and 10.4g Protein.
|Lemon Poppy Seed Soufflés||Calories||Fats(g)||Carbs(g)||Fiber(g)||Net Carbs(g)||Protein(g)|
|1 cup whole-milk ricotta||432||32.19||7.54||0||7.54||27.92|
|2 large eggs, separated||143||9.51||0.72||0||0.72||12.56|
|¼ cup erythritol||0||0||0||0||0||0|
|2 teaspoons lemon zest||2||0.01||0.64||0.4||0.24||0.06|
|1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice||3||0.04||1.04||0||1.04||0.05|
|1 teaspoon vanilla extract||12||0||0.53||0||0.53||0|
|1 teaspoon poppy seeds||29||2.33||1.58||1.1||0.48||1.01|