The holidays are approaching fast and all of us on a ketogenic diet are struggling to find that perfect special morning breakfast. Well, I’ve got it and I’m here to share it with you all!
Cinnamon Roll Waffles are the best of both worlds. That creamy, sweet, delicious cinnamon roll warm out of the oven mixed with the childhood favorite of most – waffles! These bad boys pack a ton of fat, a ton of protein (for waffles), and a huge amount of flavor.
The moment these touch your tongue, a flash back of sweet cinnamon roll nostalgia will fill your mind. They’re soft, sweet, and low carb. The perfect trinity of the holidays mixed with a dash of cinnamon – that’s the holidays gift wrapped if I ever saw it!
I suggest getting a new waffle iron if you haven’t had an upgrade in a while. I recently purchased this waffle iron and let me tell you it is a world of difference. Better cooked throughout, no more sticking and peeling half the waffle away, and best yet – no more hassle cleaning the plates.
If you’re looking for something a bit cheaper, go with a deep groove non-stick like this one from Black & Decker.
We’re also using Erythritol as our source of sweet. This stuff is the magical food of a ketogenic diet. It’s ~70% as sweet as sugar, gives a similar consistency, and gets your baked goods almost exactly the same as the real stuff. It doesn’t raise blood sugars and passes through your system fast. You can buy the same brand I use, if you like.
If you’re a fan of cinnamon rolls, you’ll love this recipe. It reminded me a little bit of a cinnamon roll mixed with a honey bun for some reason, but those were things I snacked on as a kid so it brought more memories back than I originally anticipated. Hope you guys try this one out, and I hope everyone that reads this website has a fantastic holiday season!
Yields 1 serving for a meal, or 2 servings as a snack
- 6 tablespoons almond flour
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon erythritol
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- Non-stick spray (If you have an old waffle maker)
Cream Cheese Frosting
- 2 tablespoons cream cheese
- 1 tablespoon erythritol
- 1 tablespoon heavy cream
- 2 teaspoons leftover batter
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
1. Crack an egg into a mixing bowl.
2. Add your Erythritol and mix it together very well.
3. Add your almond flour and cinnamon to the mixture.
4. Mix this together well until there’s no lumps. Then, add your second egg, vanilla, and baking soda. Mix again until batter is smooth.
5. Put your waffle iron on and wait for it to get hot. You need to spray it down with some sort of non-stick spray if it isn’t non-stick. Fill your waffle maker with the batter and let it cook. Save a little bit of the batter (about 2 tsp.) to go into the filling. While you’re cooking find a small bowl and add your cream cheese and Erythritol.
6. Next add your heavy cream, cinnamon, and a little bit of batter to it. Mix it together very well so that everything is combined. I like to leave small lumps of cream cheese in to change the texture as I’m eating the cinnamon roll waffle.
7. Once your waffle is finished cooking, cut it into sized pieces you want. Add your filling to each piece so that you can make a sandwich.
8. Sandwich them together and enjoy! The waffles are a tad dry, so you need some sort of filling to thoroughly enjoy them.
For the entire waffle, you’re looking at: 536 Calories, 44.52g Fats, 7.65g Net Carbs, and 24.2g Protein. You can portion it out so that it fits your macros, but keep in mind that it’s extremely filling.
|Low Carb Cinnamon Roll Waffle||Calories||Fats(g)||Carbs(g)||Fiber(g)||Net Carbs(g)||Protein(g)|
|6 tablespoons almond flour||240||21||9||4.5||4.5||9|
|2 large eggs||143||9.51||0.72||0||0.72||12.56|
|2 tablespoons erythritol||0||0||0||0||0||0|
|¼ teaspoon baking soda||0||0||0||0||0||0|
|¾ teaspoon cinnamon||5||0.02||1.57||1||0.57||0.08|
|¾ teaspoon vanilla extract||9||0||0.4||0||0.4||0|
|2 tablespoons cream cheese||88||8.58||1.05||0||1.05||2.13|
|1 tablespoon heavy whipping cream||51||5.41||0.41||0||0.41||0.43|