Are you not too big a fan of broccoli? Do your kids moan and groan when you’re telling them what their side dish for dinner is? Worry no more! With a handy deep fat fryer, you can turn broccoli into a treat that everybody will love. The texture of these broccoli and cheese fritters are crunchy on the outside, and decadently soft and melty on the inside. The taste is delicious and full-bodied, and you’ll be asking yourself why you didn’t do this sooner.
I got a new deep fat fryer for Christmas, and I hadn’t had the courage to use it until now. Why, you might ask? Well, the smell of oil and grease is usually pretty overwhelming when it comes to frying. I wanted to wait for the cold weather to calm down so I could go outside and fry up some keto food, and the other night was perfect. I stuck some pork lard into the fryer, waited for it to get hot, and whipped these guys up in just minutes.
These broccoli fritters aren’t like regular deep fried broccoli. They have crunch and body to them. They’re similar to hushpuppies, but made out of broccoli instead of corn meal. Trust me when I say this – everybody will love them.
Yields 16 Broccoli and Cheese Fritters
- ¾ cup almond flour
- 7 tablespoons flaxseed meal
- 4 ounces fresh broccoli
- 4 ounces mozzarella cheese
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- ¼ cup mayonnaise
- ¼ cup fresh chopped dill
- ½ tablespoon lemon juice
- Salt and pepper to taste
1. Add broccoli to a food processor and pulse until the broccoli is broken down into small pieces. You want it to be well processed.
3. Add the 2 eggs and mix together well until everything is incorporated.
4. Roll the batter into balls and then coat with 3 tablespoons flaxseed meal.
5. Continue doing this with all of the batter and set aside on paper towels.
6. Heat your deep fat fryer to 375F. I use this deep fat fryer. Once ready, lay broccoli and cheese fritters inside the basket, not overcrowing it.
7. Fry the fritters until golden brown, about 3-5 minutes. Once done, lay on paper towels to drain excess grease and season to your tastes.
8. Feel free to make a zesty dill and lemon mayonnaise for a dip. Enjoy!
This makes 16 total Broccoli and Cheese Fritters. Each fritter comes out to be 78 Calories, 5.8g Fats, 1.3g Net Carbs, and 4.6g Protein. With sauce, each fritter is 103.9 Calories, 8.35g Fats, 1.89g Net Carbs, and 4.57g Protein.
|Low Carb Broccoli and Cheese Fritters||Calories||Fats(g)||Carbs(g)||Fiber(g)||Net Carbs(g)||Protein(g)|
|¾ cup almond flour||480||42||18||9||9||18|
|¼ cup + 3 tablespoons flaxseed meal||210||12.25||17.5||14||3.5||10.5|
|4 ounces fresh broccoli||38||0.42||7.5||2.9||4.6||3.19|
|4 ounces mozzarella cheese||340||25.34||2.48||0||2.48||25.14|
|2 large eggs||143||9.51||0.72||0||0.72||12.56|
|2 teaspoons baking powder||5||0||2.55||0||2.55||0|
|¼ cup mayonnaise||374||41.17||0.31||0||0.31||0.53|
|¼ cup fresh chopped dill||60||2.88||10.92||4.2||6.72||3.16|
|½ tablespoon lemon juice||1||0.01||0.42||0.1||0.32||0.04|