It’s not often that I break out the bacon weave, but when I do it better be worth it. This one is the BEST low carb meatloaf I’ve ever made and will ever make again. I mean look at the meaty goodness, it makes my mouth water just thinking about it.
Do yourself the favor and make this meatloaf as soon as possible. You’ll be wanting to hug me through the computer, ’nuff said.
This recipe and the photos are courtesy of reddit/r/ketorecipes.
- 1 pound ground beef
- 18 slices bacon
- 1 cup almond meal
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- ½ cup diced canned mushrooms
- 1 medium diced shallot
- 1 large egg
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 teaspoon mustard powder
- ½ teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- Equipment: cutting board, meatloaf or bread pan, roasting pan, oven safe wire rack.
1. Weave the bacon. Under, over, under, over. Here’s a quick instructional video if you need help:
2. Place the meatloaf/bread pan upside down on top of the bacon weave, centered, and then flip the weave into the pan.
3. Mix all the other ingredients carefully – you want to keep that chunkiness. Layer your meat, add some cheese, then more meat.
4. Don’t let anything go to waste!
5. Pull the edges completely over the meatloaf and don’t be worried about stretching the bacon. Add 1 strip of bacon down the middle to make it look pretty. Push down the edges to make sure that the form is properly taken inside the pan.
6. Foil it up!
7. Stick it in the fridge for 30 minutes, which is such a long wait with all this bacon.
8. Preheat oven to 300°F.
9. Take it out the fridge, and remove the foil. Place the grill on top of the meatloaf pan, so that the loaf can be flipped out.
10. Flip the pan over so that the meatloaf can site on the wire rack.
11. It should look something like this.
12. Add some dry rub to the bacon if you’d like and stick that bad boy in the oven for 1 hour.
13. Wait for it…
14. Crank that oven up to 350°F.
15. Look at that beautiful bacon starting to brown. I can’t wait!
16. Set a timer for 10 minutes and get some Cleenex. You’ll need these to clear up the tears while you’re having to wait. Check the internal temperature until it hits 160°F. If it’s not there, set the timer for another 10 minutes.
17. FINALLY! Bask in the glory of this meaty delicious product, crafted entirely by you.
18. Wait 10 minutes for it to settle in. WHAT? AGAIN!? Just do it, trust me – it will let the beef and cheese inside set properly before you cut 🙂
For us, it makes 8 BIG slices. So that means 377 Calories, 28.84g Fat, 24.54g Protein and 3.46g Net Carbs! It’s definitely worth it, and will fit into almost all of your macros. Extremely filling, too.
|Low Carb Bacon Meatloaf||Calories||Fats(g)||Carbs(g)||Fiber(g)||Net Carbs(g)||Protein(g)|
|1 pound ground beef||975||68||0||0||0||84.27|
|18 slices bacon||799||63.09||1.97||0||1.97||52.09|
|1 cup almond meal||640||56||24||12||12||24|
|1 cup shredded cheddar cheese||457||37.64||3.49||0||3.49||25.84|
|½ cup diced canned mushrooms||20||0.23||3.97||1.9||2.07||1.76|
|1 medium (30 g) diced shallot||22||0.03||5.04||1||4.04||0.75|
|1 large egg||72||4.75||0.36||0||0.36||6.28|
|2 teaspoons fresh thyme||2||0.03||0.39||0.2||0.19||0.09|
|1 teaspoon mustard powder||10||0.72||0.56||0.2||0.36||0.52|
|½ teaspoon Worcestershire sauce||2||0||0.55||0||0.55||0|
|½ teaspoon pepper||17||0.22||4.41||1.7||2.71||0.72|