There’s nothing more I hate than getting super excited about a cake recipe I see online and then scrolling down to the nutrition information. My heart stops for a minute when I see the macros: “150 calories and 2g net carb for a slice?”
When it’s too good to be true, it usually is. I’m not in the business of mucking with my macros and breaking things into 24 or 30 slices, I’m in the business of enjoying the food. This cake will make 8 slices – each slice being 4.7g net carbs and filled with awesome fats! Who wants to only eat a sliver of cake, anyway?
You may notice that the cake batter looks familiar. Well, it’s the same recipe I used for the Cinnamon Sugar Donut Muffins! This batter will be used by me for a long time, as it’s one of the best, most moist cakes I’ve made in the past year and a half of baking.
It doesn’t fail here, either, bringing a deliciously moist cake that’s filled with poppy seeds and the faint aroma of lemon. When you add the icing in, you get a burst of sweet and tangy blackberry with a finish of lemon that you just don’t find in most desserts nowadays.
I also wanted to give a big thanks to everyone that visits the site – it’s grown tenfold in the last 10 months, and I couldn’t have done it without YOU! So a BIG THANKYOU to everyone that has shared the recipes, pinned on pinterest, and liked on facebook. It’s been an awesome ride, and I hope we can continue this journey together 🙂
So, what’s your favorite cake? If you share with us in the comments below, I’d be happy to try to make a keto rendition of you favorites!
Yields 8 slices of Lemon Poppy Seed Cake with Blackberry Buttercream
- 1 ½ cups almond flour
- ¼ cup erythritol, powdered
- 2 tablespoons psyllium husk powder
- ½ cup sour cream
- 1/3 cup salted butter
- 2 large eggs
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- 2 tablespoons poppy seeds
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon liquid Stevia
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- ½ cup Erythritol, powdered
- ½ cup blackberries, strained
- ¼ cup heavy cream
- 6 tablespoons butter
1. Start by putting your 1/3 cup of butter into a pan over medium heat. Preheat your oven to 350F.
4. In a separate bowl, mix together 2 large Eggs, 1/2 cup Sour Cream, Zest of 1 Lemon, 1 tsp. Vanilla Extract and 1/4 tsp. Liquid Stevia.
5. Keep an eye on your butter until it browns, it should look a deep golden color.
6. Slowly pour the browned butter into the wet ingredients while mixing with your spoon.
7. Add dry ingredients a little bit at a time while mixing until your batter forms.
8. Grease a round cake pan (I used an 8 inch pan), then press your batter into the pan.
9. Bake for 20-25 minutes at 350F until the cake is golden brown on the top.
10. Let the cake cool slightly, then remove from the pan and let cool on a cooling rack.
11. Grind 1/2 cup erythritol in a spice grinder, then grind 1/2 cup Blackberries until a paste is formed (you can use a food processor for this, or your spice grinder if you immediately clean it out). Strain the paste into a separate container, making sure no seeds get through.
12. Add 2 tbsp. Lemon Juice and powdered Erythritol to the blackberry puree and mix together well.
13. In a separate bowl (or clean out one of the bowl you used earlier), beat together 6 tbsp. butter with 1/4 cup heavy cream using a hand mixer.
14. Slowly mix in the blackberry puree until a thick icing is formed.
15. Plop the icing on the cake and cover the entire cake, sides included.
16. Place in the refrigerator for 20-30 minutes, then serve!
This makes 8 total slices of cake, each slice being 361.13 Calories, 34.36g Fats, 4.65g Net Carbs, and 7.35g Protein.
|Lemon Poppy Seed Cake with Blackberry Buttercream||Calories||Fats(g)||Carbs(g)||Fiber(g)||Net Carbs(g)||Protein(g)|
|1 ½ cups (168 g) almond flour||959||84||36||18||18||36|
|¾ cup erythritol, powdered||0||0||0||0||0||0|
|2 tablespoons psyllium husk powder||60||0||16||14||2||0|
|½ cup sour cream||228||22.25||5.32||0||5.32||2.81|
|1/3 cup salted butter||537||60.76||0.04||0||0.04||0.64|
|2 large eggs||143||9.51||0.72||0||0.72||12.56|
|1 ½ teaspoons baking powder||4||0||1.91||0||1.91||0|
|2 tablespoons poppy seeds||92||7.31||4.95||3.4||1.55||3.17|
|Zest of 1 lemon||3||0.02||0.96||0.6||0.36||0.09|
|1 teaspoon vanilla extract||12||0||0.53||0||0.53||0|
|¼ teaspoon liquid Stevia||0||0||0||0||0||0|
|2 tablespoons lemon juice||7||0.07||2.1||0.1||2||0.11|
|½ cup blackberries, strained||31||0.35||6.92||3.8||3.12||1|
|¼ cup heavy cream||202||21.47||1.63||0||1.63||1.69|
|6 tablespoons butter||611||69.11||0.05||0||0.05||0.72|