If you’ve never had cookie butter, then you really missed out! Think about grabbing a spoonful of smooth peanut butter out of the jar, but it’s got a Fall-like cinnamon and ginger cookie taste. Seriously delicious and perfect for this time of the year.
I’d say dip stuff in it, but really…we all know that’s not going to happen. Go ahead and grab your spoon, dip, and lick it off – a great way to end a meal. If that’s not your thing, it really goes great on freshly made waffles in the morning. You can pretty much put it on anything that’s slightly sweet to get an awesome punch of delicious flavor.
I chose to use both macadamia nuts and cashews for this one. Cashews are pretty carby, while macadamias are extremely fatty – both give the flavor you want to make an awesome cookie butter base. The oils in the nuts are able to really come out and help give a rich and smooth texture. Then you add browned butter caramel into it and it comes alive. All of the spices play off of eachother and brings a whole new dimension. Salt just intensifies the sweetness and pushes it over the edge on the taste buds.
By the way, you can flavor this however you want to. Pull back on the spices and let the cinnamon sing for a more Snickerdoodle type of cookie butter, add a slight bit more of the ginger for a Biscoff style cookie butter, or mix and match your own flavors to get the taste you’re craving! I thought this was the perfect combination for me for what I wanted to do. You can always add more of a certain spice afterwards too.
P.S. Cardamom would be a great addition to this, as it plays off of the ginger (Cardamom comes from the ginger family). Feel free to add some of that in there, too.
What type of cookie butter would you make? Let us know in the comments below!
Yields 1 Cup of Low Carb Cookie Butter
- 1 cup raw macadamias
- ¾ cup raw cashews
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ginger
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon cloves
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons Swerve, powdered
- Pinch salt
2. In a food processor, pulse the nuts until they are starting to turn crumbly.
3. Add in vanilla, spices, and a pinch of salt, and then continue processing until smooth.
4. In a pan, combine 2 tbsp. Butter and 2 tbsp. Powdered Swerve (you’ll have to do this in a coffee or spice grinder). Let this cook down until slightly browned. Once browned, add heavy cream and remove from heat. Stir together well until a thick syrup is formed.
5. Pour syrup into food processor as it is running.
6. Remove cookie butter from the food processor and store in a mason jar.
7. Spread on to your favorite foods and enjoy! Or you know, just grab a spoon and eat it right off of there like a normal person 😉
Makes about 1 cup of Low Carb Cookie Butter. Each tablespoon comes out to be 117.25 Calories, 11.45g Fats, 2.46g Net Carbs, and 1.72g Protein.
|Low Carb Cookie Butter||Calories||Fats(g)||Carbs(g)||Fiber(g)||Net Carbs(g)||Protein(g)|
|1 cup raw macadamias||962||101.53||18.52||11.5||7.02||10.6|
|¾ cup raw cashews||590||47.62||33.59||3.1||30.49||15.73|
|1 teaspoon vanilla||12||0||0.53||0||0.53||0|
|¼ teaspoon cinnamon||2||0.01||0.52||0.3||0.22||0.03|
|¼ teaspoon ginger||2||0.02||0.32||0.1||0.22||0.04|
|1/8 teaspoon nutmeg||1||0.1||0.14||0.1||0.04||0.02|
|1/8 teaspoon cloves||1||0.03||0.17||0.1||0.07||0.02|
|2 tablespoons butter||204||23.04||0.02||0||0.02||0.24|
|2 tablespoons heavy whipping cream||102||10.82||0.82||0||0.82||0.85|
|2 tablespoons Swerve, powdered||0||0||0||0||0||0|