Lasagna is a classic casserole that reminds me of grandma’s home cooking. (Or if we’re being honest, my grandma home cooking the giant casserole from the freezer aisle.) Noodles, tomato, beef, and cheese. How can we possibly have this while staying keto?
You guessed it! We’re using a cheese-based dough to create keto-friendly noodles. Then we layer those with a meaty tomato sauce, and a special cheese topping. Instead of ricotta, we cut the carbs with a cheesy spread made from mozzarella, sour cream, and Parmesan.
Yields 6 servings of Lasagna with Keto Noodles
Meaty Tomato Sauce
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 medium yellow onion
- 20 ounces ground beef
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- ½ tablespoon dried basil
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- ½ cup water
- 8 large eggs
- 10 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 5 tablespoons ground psyllium husk powder
- 5 ounces shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 2 cups sour cream
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 ounces grated parmesan cheese
- ½ cup chopped fresh parsley
1. Preheat a skillet over medium heat, then add the olive oil. Chop the garlic and onion finely, then fry until soft.
2. Add the ground beef to the skillet and brown. Mix in the tomato paste, basil, plus some salt and pepper.
3. Add the water and bring it to a boil. Lower the heat then simmer until the water has evaporated. You want the meat mixture to be quite dry.
4. Preheat the oven to 300F. In a medium bowl mix together the eggs, cream cheese, and salt. Continue whisking while adding the psyllium husk a little at a time. Let the mixture rest for a few minutes.
5. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper, then spread the batter across the sheet using a spatula. Place a second piece of parchment paper on top, then roll the pasta out using a rolling pin.
6. Leave both sheets of parchment paper in place and bake for 10-15 minutes. Take the pasta sheet out of the oven then cool for a few minutes before removing the paper. Slice the pasta into lasagna sheets.
7. Crank the oven up to 400F. Mix the mozzarella, sour cream, salt, pepper, parsley, and most of the Parmesan cheese. Reserve a bit for topping the lasagna with.
8. In a greased casserole dish layer the meat sauce, and pasta sheets in layers.
9. Spread the cheese mixture and remaining Parmesan cheese on top.
10. Bake the lasagna for about 30 minutes or until the cheese is browned and bubbling.
This makes a total of 6 servings of Lasagna with Keto Noodles. Each serving comes out to be 841.27 Calories, 61.68g Fats, 14.3g Net Carbs, and 51.5g Protein.
|Lasagna with Keto Noodles||Calories||Fats(g)||Carbs(g)||Fiber(g)||Net Carbs(g)||Protein(g)|
|8 large eggs||572||38||2.9||0||2.9||50|
|10 ounces cream cheese||992||98||16||0||16||17|
|5 tablespoons ground psyllium husk powder||173||3.4||52||34||18||12|
|2 cups sour cream||991||89||21||0||21||11|
|5 ounces part-skim mozzarella cheese||200||0||5||2.6||2.4||45|
|2 ounces grated parmesan cheese||238||16||7.9||0||7.9||16|
|½ cup chopped fresh parsley||11||0.2||1.9||1||0.9||0.9|
|2 tablespoons olive oil||239||27||0||0||0||0|
|1 medium yellow onion||41||0.2||9.5||1.3||8.2||1.3|
|1 clove garlic||4.5||0||1||0.1||0.9||0.2|
|20 ounces ground beef||1541||98||0||0||0||153|
|3 tablespoons tomato paste||40||0.2||9.2||2||7.2||2.1|
|½ tablespoon dried basil||3.8||0.1||0.8||0.6||0.2||0.4|
|¼ teaspoon black pepper||1.3||0||0.3||0.1||0.2||0.1|