Fajitas are something that I’ve been REALLY craving lately, so I set out to make some that weren’t going to disappoint. Low and behold, these fajitas did the trick! They’ll serve around 6 people, but I didn’t make enough tortillas for that many. If you need to serve to a large group of people, take your time to make more tortillas than what’s in the recipe. You can also make larger tortillas and serve 1 per person if you use the original recipe.
You can find the tortilla recipe here, but I’ve included the ingredients in the ingredient list. I didn’t make so many because this time I was just eating it for myself. The tortillas are a serious treat for people that are missing that soft bready pull in each meal they have. I ended up making 6 mini tortillas which is enough for 2 people if you push it, but I would make 4 mini tortillas per person.
The trick with the tortillas is to be fast. You need to make sure you work the dough and roll it out while it’s still warm, otherwise it start to break and tear and it gets more and more difficult to work with it as it cools down. Once you have the tortillas portioned out, it doesn’t matter too much whether they are cool or not. Just get those bad boys in the pan, fry them up a little, and throw your beef and veg on there.
I ended up saving most of the mixture in the crock pot, adding some butter, and pouring it over salads as both the meat and the salad dressing. Top it off with a bit of extra cream cheese or sour cream and you have a perfect lunch that’s fast and easy!
Yields 6 Servings of Fajita Mix and 6 Mini Tortillas. You will need to make more tortillas if you want to serve more than 1 person.
- 1 small onion
- 1 medium bell pepper
- 3 medium jalapenos
- 1 small red chili pepper
- 2 pounds skirt steak
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- ½ can whole tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 3 tablespoons reduced sugar ketchup
- 1 teaspoon liquid smoke
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- Salt and pepper to taste
- ¼ cup coconut flour
- 1 tablespoon ground psyllium husk
- 2 tablespoons butter
- ½ cup chicken or beef broth
- 1 pinch garlic powder
- 1 pinch seasoning salt
1. Start by doing all the prep. Slice 1 small onion, 1 medium bell pepper, 3 medium jalapenos, and 1 small red chili pepper. Remove the silver skin from the skirt steak if you need to.
2. In a crock pot, add all of the ingredients (spices included). I made a small layer of the 1/2 can whole tomatoes and some onions, then layered the steak on top, and then added the rest of the vegetables.
3. Cook everything for 3-4 hours on low and stir it all up. Replace the lid and cook for an additional 3-4 hours on low.
4. Once your steak is finished, shred it all with 2 forks and start on your tortillas.
5. You can find the tortilla recipe here. Boil the chicken or beef broth and mix it into all the other tortilla ingredients. Once you form a dough, cut out small (or large, depending) circles and fry them in a frying pan on medium-low heat. Stuff the tortillas with whatever mixture you want (I used cream cheese and sriracha) and serve!
The recipe makes 6 total tortillas. The serving size is 4 tortillas and 1/6 of the skirt steak mixture. In total this is 521 Calories, 30.2g Fats, 9.5g Net Carbs, and 36.8g Protein. Add some cream cheese and you’re all set!
|Keto Skirt Steak Fajitas||Calories||Fats (g)||Carbs (g)||Fiber (g)||Net Carbs (g)||Protein (g)|
|1 small Onion||29||0||7||1||6||1|
|1 medium Bell Pepper||24||0||6||2||4||1|
|3 medium Jalapenos||13||0||2||1||1||1|
|1 small Red Chili Pepper||12||0||3||1||2||1|
|2 lbs. Skirt Steak||1440||72||0||0||0||192|
|2 tsp. Cumin||16||1||2||0||2||1|
|1/2 can Whole Tomatos||100||0||17||7||10||4|
|1 tbsp. Apple Cider Vinegar||0||0||0||0||0||0|
|3 tbsp. Ketchup||15||0||3||0||3||0|
|1 tsp. Liquid Smoke||0||0||0||0||0||0|
|1 tsp. Minced Garlic||5||0||1||0||1||0|
|Salt & Pepper||1||0||0||0||0||0|
|Per Serving ( /6 )||275.8||12.2||6.8||2.0||4.8||33.5|
|Coconut Flour Tortillas||Calories||Fats (g)||Carbs (g)||Fiber (g)||Net Carbs (g)||Protein (g)|
|1/4 cup Coconut Flour||120||4||16||10||6||4|
|1 tbsp. Ground Psyllium Husk||34||0||8||7||1||0|
|2 tbsp. Butter||200||22||0||0||0||0|
|1/2 cup Chicken or Beef Broth||10||1||0||0||0||1|
|1 pinch Garlic Powder||2||0||0||0||0||0|
|1 pinch Seasoning Salt||2||0||0||0||0||0|
|Per 1 Tortilla ( /6 )||61.3||4.5||4.0||2.8||1.2||0.8|