This keto shepherd’s pie casserole is a recipe you’ll make again and again. It’s filling comfort food at it’s finest, and a great dish to prepare when you’re trying to make sure you have leftover. Well-seasoned ground lamb is topped with a creamy cauliflower mash, then baked in the oven until golden.
This recipe is a great way to use up any ground meat that you have on hand. We’re using lamb but you could also do this with chicken or beef. Just make sure that the cooked cauliflower is drained super well. You want to remove as much water as possible in order to ensure a good mash.
Yields 6 servings of Keto Shepherd’s Pie
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 pound ground lamb
- ½ medium yellow onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ cup chopped celery
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- ½ cup chicken stock
- ¼ cup dry red wine
- ½ teaspoon xanthan gum
- 24 ounces riced cauliflower, cooked and drained
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- ¼ cup grated Parmesan
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
1. Preheat your oven to 350F. Heat up the butter in a large skillet, or until the butter stops foaming and sizzling.
2. Add the ground lamb, onion, garlic, celery, tomato paste, Worcestershire, red wine, and chicken stock. Cook until the meat has browned, and the vegetables have softened. Sprinkle the xanthan gum across the top then stir in.
3. Add the riced cauliflower, heavy whipping cream, cheddar cheese, Parmesan, and thyme to a food processor. Blend until the cauliflower whips into a smooth puree.
4. Add the meat mixture to a casserole dish, then spread the pureed cauliflower across the top.
5. Bake the shepherd’s pie for 45 minutes, or until browned across the top. Allow to cool for 10 minutes before cutting and serving.
This makes a total of 6 servings of Keto Shepherd’s Pie. Each serving comes out to be 528.15 Calories, 41.15g Fats, 6.59g Net Carbs, and 28.2g Protein.
|Keto Shepherd’s Pie||Calories||Fats(g)||Carbs(g)||Fiber(g)||Net Carbs(g)||Protein(g)|
|2 tablespoons butter||204||23||0||0||0||0.2|
|1 pound ground lamb||1284||89||0||0||0||112|
|½ medium yellow onion||21||0.1||4.8||0.7||4.1||0.6|
|3 cloves garlic, minced||13||0.1||3||0.2||2.8||0.6|
|½ cup chopped celery||14||0.1||3||1.2||1.8||0.6|
|2 tablespoons tomato paste||27||0.1||6.2||1.3||4.9||1.4|
|1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce||13||0||3.3||0||3.3||0|
|½ cup chicken stock||7.5||0.3||0.6||0||0.6||0.8|
|¼ cup dry red wine||50||0||1.5||0||1.5||0|
|½ teaspoon xanthan gum||5.1||0||1.2||0||1.2||0|
|24 ounces riced cauliflower||156||3.1||28||16||12||13|
|1 cup heavy whipping cream||809||86||6.5||0||6.5||6.8|
|1 cup shredded cheddar cheese||457||38||3.5||0||3.5||26|
|¼ cup grated Parmesan||105||7||3.5||0||3.5||7.1|
|1 teaspoon dried thyme||3.3||0.1||0.8||0.4||0.4||0.1|