A casserole is the perfect time-saver dish. It can provide plenty of “cook once, eat twice, or more!” leftovers, or it can satisfy a hungry crowd. Whatever the case in your home, you’ll love the ease of preparation with this keto sausage breakfast casserole.
Be sure to select sausage that is all-natural with no added sugar or fillers. Jimmy Dean brand makes a certified gluten-free, no sugar added sausage with none of those chemical additives most of us like to avoid. This type of sausage does not have a lot of excess fat/liquid to drain away, so you can brown the sausage and cook the veggies in the same pan. That makes cleanup much easier!
The consistency of this finished dish is on the custard side, with a rich cheddar sauce and just a hint of heat from ground cayenne pepper. If you aren’t a fan of the spice, simply omit it but it adds a nice balance to the dish.
Feel free to change up the type of cheese you use from time to time. In place of cheddar you can substitute Monterrey Jack, Swiss, or even smoked Gouda.
Whatever you decide, in under an hour you can have a bubbling dish on the table that will keep you satisfied for hours.
Yields 6 servings of Keto Sausage Breakfast Casserole.
- 1 pound pork sausage
- 2 cups diced zucchini
- 2 cups green cabbage, shredded
- ½ cup diced onion
- 3 large eggs
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons prepared yellow mustard
- 1 teaspoon dried ground sage
- 1 ½ cups cheddar cheese, shredded and divided
- Cayenne pepper to taste
1. Preheat your oven to 375F and grease a casserole dish; set aside.
2. Brown sausage in a large skillet over medium heat until almost cooked through.
3. Add cabbage, zucchini and onion, cooking until vegetables are tender and sausage is fully cooked.
4. Remove from heat and spoon into prepared casserole dish, then set aside.
5. In a mixing bowl, whisk eggs, mayonnaise, mustard, sage, and pepper until smooth.
6. Add 1 cup of the grated cheese to the egg mixture and stir.
7. Pour this mixture over the sausage and vegetables in the casserole dish.
8. Top casserole with the remaining ½ cup cheese.
9. Place casserole in preheated oven and bake 30 minutes, or until bubbling around the edges and the cheese is melted and lightly browned on top.
10. Remove from the oven and serve immediately.
This makes a total of 6 servings Keto Sausage Breakfast Casserole. Each serving comes out to be 468.33 Calories, 39.76g Fats, 3.86g Net Carbs, and 22.08g Protein.
|Keto Sausage Breakfast Casserole||Calories||Fats(g)||Carbs(g)||Fiber(g)||Net Carbs(g)||Protein(g)|
|1 pound pork sausage||1046||84.08||0||0||0||67.72|
|2 cups diced zucchini||42||0.79||7.71||2.5||5.21||3|
|2 cups green cabbage, shredded||35||0.14||8.12||3.5||4.62||1.79|
|½ cup diced onion||32||0.08||7.47||1.4||6.07||0.88|
|3 large eggs||214||14.27||1.08||0||1.08||18.84|
|½ cup mayonnaise||748||82.33||0.63||0||0.63||1.06|
|2 teaspoons prepared yellow mustard||6||0.33||0.58||0.4||0.18||0.37|
|1 teaspoon dried ground sage||2||0.09||0.43||0.3||0.13||0.07|
|1 ½ cups cheddar cheese||685||56.46||5.24||0||5.24||38.76|