So, we all love bacon, right? Bacon is a delicious treat we get to eat on a regular basis…but it just doesn’t seem like I get enough of it as is. I wouldn’t mind having some bacon with every meal. Well, now we can! Sorry vegetarians, but this one is not going to be for you.
You can pretty much use this stuff on anything savory. I spread it on keto breads, spread it on frittata muffins, and top my dinners with it. It’s just plain delicious! All of the flavors together create a sweet, semi-sour, and savory concoction that goes well with almost everything. I slab it on chicken sliders, pork tenderloin, frittata muffins…pretty much everything.
I used some Chival Regal for the scotch, but pretty much any scotch will do the job. Don’t have scotch? Use whisky instead.
If you don’t want to have as fatty as a spread that I have, just take out more of the bacon fat than I did to cook the onions and garlic. Although it might look unappetizing, the fat really helps keep the vinegar on point with the amount of sweet and sour it adds to the jam. I highly suggest experimenting with this though – add jalapenos, add different spices, make it your own!
I apologize in advanced for some blurry pictures!
Yields 24 Tablespoons (1 ½ cups) of Bacon Jam
- 14 slices bacon
- 1 cup black coffee
- 1 medium onion
- 3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1.5 ounces scotch (1 shot)
- 2 tablespoons erythritol
- 1 3⁄10 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon hot sauce
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 2 teaspoon liquid smoke
- 1 teaspoon worcestershire
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 7 drops liquid stevia
1. Cut your 14 slices of bacon into chunks and put them in a pan on medium-high heat.
2. Continue cooking bacon until the fat starts to render out of it.
3. Cover pan with grease catcher so the mess is avoided. Stir occasionally and continue cooking until crisp.
4. While the bacon is cooking, chop 1 small onion and mince 3 cloves garlic.
5. Brew a cup of coffee. I use a Keurig Coffee Maker – they’re seriously awesome!
6. Remove the bacon from the pan once it’s crisp.
7. Remove about 1/2 of the bacon fat from the pan and keep 1/2 of the bacon fat in the pan. You can save this for other recipes. It works really well to saute vegetables in bacon fat!
8. Add your onion and garlic to the bacon fat and let it cook down.
9. Continue stirring the onions and garlic until all of the bits on the bottom of the pan has been removed.
10. Measure out 3 Tbsp. Cup Apple Cider Vinegar, 1.5 Oz. Scotch (1 Shot), 2 Tbsp. NOW Erythritol, 1 Tbsp. Hot Sauce, 1 Tbsp. Soy Sauce, 2 tsp. Liquid smoke, 1 tsp. Worcestershire, 1 tsp. Black Pepper, and 7 Drops Liquid Stevia.
11. Add all of your liquid ingredients to the pan and let cook for 1-2 minutes, stirring well.
12. Add the bacon back into the pan and mix it into the liquids.
13. Continue cooking this mixture for 30-45 minutes, stirring occasionally. You want the sauce to reduce well.
14. Once your sauce has reduced, add all the ingredients into a food processor.
15. Process everything together until a chunky consistency is formed.
16. Measure out your bacon jam into a mason jar and refrigerate. I normally let mine sit in the fridge for 24 hours, letting the flavors steep, and the fat harden.
17. Enjoy on almost anything – my most recent creation? A chicken slider with bacon jam and chili ketchup!
Per tablespoon, the bacon jam will be: 74.88 Calories, 6.5g Fats, 0.84g Net Carbs, and 2.22g Protein.
|Bacon Jam||Calories||Fats(g)||Carbs(g)||Fiber(g)||Net Carbs(g)||Protein(g)|
|14 slices bacon||1635||155.58||5.02||0||5.02||49.47|
|1 cup black coffee||2||0.05||0||0||0||0.28|
|1 medium onion||44||0.11||10.27||1.9||8.37||1.21|
|3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar||9||0||0.42||0||0.42||0|
|1.5 ounces scotch (1 shot)||70||0||0||0||0||0|
|2 tablespoons erythritol||0||0||0||0||0||0|
|1 tablespoon + 1 tsp. minced garlic||17||0.06||3.7||0.2||3.5||0.71|
|1 tablespoon hot sauce||2||0.05||0.25||0||0.25||0.07|
|1 tablespoon soy sauce||8||0.09||0.79||0.1||0.69||1.3|
|2 teaspoon liquid smoke||0||0||0||0||0||0|
|1 teaspoon worcestershire||4||0||1.09||0||1.09||0|
|1 teaspoon black pepper||6||0.07||1.47||0.6||0.87||0.24|
|7 drops liquid stevia||0||0||0||0||0||0|