Perfectly shredded chicken breast adds a substantial protein hit to creamy tomato soup, with this keto-friendly creamy chicken tomato soup made in an instant pot. Look no further if you need a quick weeknight dinner option, or you’re craving a hearty and soul-warming dish.
There’s something so comforting about a warm bowl of soup. Whether you’re in need of a pick me up after a long day, or you want to cozy up on the couch with your favorite tv show, our keto creamy chicken tomato soup is a perfect accompaniment. Best of all, it can be made with the convenience of an instant pot as you go about your day—simply add the ingredients in, set it to the natural release method, remove the chicken breasts and shred, blend the soup, and enjoy.
While there’s nothing wrong with tomato soup once in a while, the natural sugars in tomatoes can take you off your keto plan if consumed regularly. Adding shredded chicken breast provides some “bulk” to the soup, while allowing for contrast in taste and texture. Plus, the additional protein means you’ll be fuller for longer.
The trick to getting the perfect flavor balance in the soup is to take the time to saute and slightly caramelize the onions and garlic before throwing them into the instant pot. You’ll want to coax the natural umami notes out so that they work in synchronicity alongside the slight acidity of the tomatoes, the freshness of the red bell pepper, and the silkiness of the heavy cream.
Yields 3 servings of Keto Creamy Chicken Tomato Soup
- 4 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 medium onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 14 ounce chicken breast
- 2 cup chicken broth
- 28 ounce canned whole tomatoes
- 1 medium red bell pepper
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 cup fresh basil, chopped
1. Gather and prep all ingredients.
2. Turn Instant Pot to the “saute” function and allow it to heat up. Once hot, add butter, onion, garlic, red bell pepper, oregano, and salt and pepper to taste.
3. Saute for a few minutes or until the onion is softened, then add in the chicken stock, canned tomatoes, and chicken breast. Put the lid on and cook using ‘High Pressure’ for 10 minutes.
4. Once finished, allow the Instant Pot to naturally depressurize. Remove the chicken breast from the pot, shred and set aside.
5. Using an immersion blender, blend together the soup until smooth.
6. Add heavy cream to the soup and stir well to mix.
7. Add the shredded chicken back into the soup and allow the chicken to soak up the flavor for a few minutes.
8. Serve with fresh basil sprinkled over the top. Enjoy!
This makes a total of 3 servings of Keto Creamy Chicken Tomato Soup. Each serving comes out to be 634 calories, 42.7g fats, 10.3g net carbs, and 46.9g protein.
|4.00 tablespoon butter||407||46||0||0||0||0.5|
|0.50 medium onion||19||0.1||4.4||0.8||3.6||0.6|
|3.00 teaspoon fresh garlic||13||0||2.8||0.2||2.6||0.5|
|2.00 teaspoon dried oregano||7||0.1||1.9||1.2||0.7||0.3|
|0.00 none salt and pepper||0||0||0||0||0||0|
|14.00 ounce boneless, skinless chicken breast||655||14.3||0||0||0||123|
|2.00 cup chicken broth||30||1.1||2.2||0||2.2||3.2|
|28.00 ounce canned whole tomatoes||127||2||27.5||15.1||12.5||6.3|
|1.00 medium red bell pepper||36||0.4||6.9||2.4||4.5||1.1|
|0.75 cup heavy cream||607||64.3||4.8||0||4.8||5|
|0.25 cup fresh basil||1||0||0.2||0.1||0.1||0.2|
|Per Serving (/3)||634||42.7||16.9||6.6||10.3||46.9|