Creating a soufflé was something that I thought would be impossible. I’ve watched enough Food Network to know that these things are temperamental and the downfall of many contestants. Is a soufflé something you can really make at home? Turns out it’s easier than you think! This keto cheese soufflé is puffy, soft, and delicious.
Traditional soufflés use a flour roux to help provide stability, but we replace it with much more keto-friendly almond flour. Just make sure that you really get the egg white’s stiff, but don’t overmix when combining with the rest of the soufflé. Also, make sure that you remember to serve this dish immediately. Like any soufflé, once they’re removed from the oven they will start to deflate.
Yields 3 servings of Keto Cheese Soufflé
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1½ tablespoons almond flour
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- ½ cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 3 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 3 large eggs, separated
1. Preheat your oven to 350F. Grease the insides of the ramekins you’ll be using.
2. In a saucepan over medium-low heat, melt the butter. Stir in the almond meal and salt, until well combined. It should thicken a little, but not as much as a higher carb roux. Whisk in the almond milk and mustard, then continue to simmer for 5 minutes or until the mixture has thickened a bit more.
3. Remove from the heat then mix in the cheddar cheese and ⅔ of the Parmesan cheese. Whisk in the egg yolks, taking care not to curdle them.
4. Beat the egg whites with a mixer until stiff peaks form. Gently fold into the egg and cheese mixture.
5. Divide the souffle batter among the ramekins then top with the remaining Parmesan cheese.
6. Transfer the ramekins to the oven then bake for 15-20 minutes or until puffy and browned. Serve immediately.
This makes a total of 3 servings of Keto Cheese Soufflé. Each serving comes out to be 265.03 Calories, 22.37g Fats, 2.17g Net Carbs, and 13.33g Protein.
|Keto Cheese Souffle||Calories||Fats(g)||Carbs(g)||Fiber(g)||Net Carbs(g)||Protein(g)|
|2 tablespoons butter||204||23||0||0||0||0.2|
|1½ tablespoons almond flour||61||5.2||2.3||1.3||1||2.2|
|1/3 cup unsweetened almond milk||9.9||0.9||0.4||0.2||0.2||0.4|
|2 teaspoons Dijon mustard||6.2||0.3||0.6||0.4||0.2||0.4|
|½ cup shredded cheddar||228||19||1.7||0||1.7||13|
|3 tablespoons grated Parmesan||71||4.7||2.3||0||2.3||4.8|
|3 large eggs||215||14||1.1||0||1.1||19|