An extremely tasty dish that was created by MidnightTokr over at Reddit.
He describes the dish as very savory, where its characteristic flavor from the five-spice and shitake mushrooms blend nicely with the sweet and saltiness of the soy sauce.
He says that the sauce goes great over steamed vegetables, like broccoli, because it will absorb all the flavor. He also enjoys this with cauliflower rice.
He also added, which not necessary, he recommends to add the pork back to the sauce after you have de-boned it and sliced it in order to get some more flavor in there.
Yields 2 servings, with leftover sauce.
- 1 pound pork hock
- ¼ cup rice vinegar
- 1/3 cup soy sauce
- 1/3 cup shaoxing cooking wine
- ¼ cup Splenda
- 1/3 medium onion
- 1 tablespoon butter*
- ½ cup of shiitake mushrooms
- 1 teaspoon Chinese five-spice
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
*Can also use coconut oil
1. Gather all your supplies together, get your slow cooker plugged in and let’s get started.
2. Let’s do a little multi-tasking here, shall we? In one pan start to fry your onions up. In another pan filled with water, start to boil your shitake mushrooms. In a third pan, start to sear off the pork hock.
3. Sear the pork hock in butter until the skin starts to turn crispy.
4. Add all the ingredients to your crock pot, and mix together well. That’s the rice vinegar, soy sauce, five-spice, oregano, cooking wine, splenda, onion, mushrooms, garlic, and onion.
5. Let this cook for 2 hours on high heat.
6. Stir everything together and let cook for another 2 hours on low heat.
7. Remove the pork hock from the slow cooker and de-bone it. Slice it as you want, and add it back to the sauce in the crock pot. Stir it up well so the pork can absorb some more flavor.
8. Serve with steamed vegetables, with some sauce over the vegetables.
Per serving, this came out to: 530 Calories, 31.4g Fat, 6.37g Net Carbs, and 20.81g Protein.
Keep in mind that the chart below includes ALL sauce in the recipe. There’s always leftovers when I make this.
|Chinese Style Slow-Cooked Pork Hock||Calories||Fats(g)||Carbs(g)||Fiber(g)||Net Carbs(g)||Protein(g)|
|1 pound pork hock||800||50||0||0||0||32|
|¼ cup rice vinegar||0||0||0||0||0||0|
|1/3 cup soy sauce||34||0.36||3.14||0.5||2.64||5.19|
|1/3 cup shaoxing cooking wine||52||0||0||0||0||1|
|¼ cup Splenda||0||0||0||0||0||0|
|1/3 medium (36.3 g) onion||15||0.04||3.39||0.6||2.79||0.4|
|1 tablespoon butter||102||11.52||0.01||0||0.01||0.12|
|100 g shiitake mushrooms||34||0.49||6.79||2.5||4.29||2.24|
|1 teaspoon Chinese five-spice||6||0.27||1.38||0.7||0.68||0.13|
|1 teaspoon oregano||8||0.08||1.24||0.8||0.44||0.16|
|2 cloves garlic||9||0.03||1.98||0.1||1.88||0.38|