This keto cauliflower pizza casserole combines the flavors of pepperoni pizza with the creamy comfort of a casserole. This recipe brings casseroles to a whole new level!
Instead of using carb-loaded pasta as a base, we use steamed cauliflower. Not a cauliflower fan? Try the recipe anyway. It doesn’t taste one bit like cauliflower. Instead, it’s more like macaroni and cheese meets pepperoni pizza. The sauce is rich and creamy with notes of tomato, garlic, basil and oregano. The red pepper flakes add just a little bit of heat and complexity. Add in layers of pepperoni and gooey mozzarella cheese, and this recipe becomes comfort food nirvana.
Just because it’s delicious doesn’t mean this recipe is difficult. This casserole is easy to put together and makes an ideal weekday dinner. Don’t worry if you have extra because it tastes even better the second day. Just cover and refrigerate the unused portion. To reheat, take out the desired amount and reheat with the method of your choice.
When making this casserole, the cauliflower is steamed lightly before the dish is assembled. Don’t over-cook it because it will cook a bit more in the oven. You can save time by beginning the sauce while the cauliflower steams. After the sauce and the cauliflower are finished, assembling the casserole is a snap. Once it’s put together, pop it in the oven and relax while the oven bakes it into gooey goodness.
Yields 9 servings of Keto Cauliflower Pizza Casserole.
- 1 medium cauliflower, head split into small florets
- 1 Tbsp. butter
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 2 Tbsp. balsamic vinegar
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 6 oz. cream cheese, cut into large chunks
- 3 Tbsp. tomato paste
- 3 cups mozzarella cheese, divided
- 1/2 tsp. oregano, dried
- 1 Tbsp. basil, fresh
- 1 tsp. sea salt
- 1/4 tsp. freshly ground pepper
- 3 oz. package thinly sliced pepperoni
- Red pepper flakes, to taste
1. Preheat oven to 350º Fahrenheit. Spray 9 inch square glass pan with an oil of choice
2. Steam cauliflower for 10-13 minutes or until crisp but tender. Do not overcook. Remove from the heat and set aside.
3. Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add butter.
4. When the butter stops bubbling, add the onion and cook, stirring occasionally until edges are just starting to brown.
5. Add garlic and cook, stirring constantly for one minute.
6. Pour the balsamic vinegar into the onion and garlic mixture. Simmer over medium heat, scraping up any browned bits, until mixture has a syrupy consistency.
7. Add in cream, cream cheese, and tomato paste. Stir until mixture is smooth. Stir in one cup of mozzarella cheese (reserving the other two cups).
8. Simmer, stirring frequently, until mixture has a thick, creamy consistency. Add oregano, basil, red pepper flakes, salt and pepper. Taste and adjust seasoning if desired. Remove from heat.
9. In the prepared pan, spread half of the steamed cauliflower. Arrange half of the pepperoni slices over the cauliflower. Sprinkle one cup of mozzarella (reserving the third cup). Layer the rest of the cauliflower and pepperoni slices (but not the mozzarella) in a similar manner. Pour the cream sauce evenly over the layers. Sprinkle with the remaining cup of mozzarella.
10. Bake in preheated oven for about 20 to 30 minutes or until casserole is bubbly and cheese is lightly browned. Cool 5 to 10 minutes before serving.
This makes a total of 9 servings Keto Cauliflower Pizza Casserole. Each serving comes out to be 353 Calories, 28 g Fats, 6 g Net Carbs, and 13 g Protein.
|Keto Cauliflower Pizza Casserole||Calories||Fats (g)||Carbs (g)||Fiber (g)||Net Carbs (g)||Protein (g)|
|1 medium head cauliflower||144||1||30||14||16||11|
|1 tbsp. butter||100||11||0||0||0||0|
|1 small yellow onion||25||0||5.7||1.2||4.5||0.8|
|1 clove garlic||4||0||0||0||0||0|
|2 Tbsp. balsamic vinegar||28||0||5.4||0||5.4||0.2|
|1 cup heavy cream||800||96||4.8||0||4.8||4.8|
|6 oz. cream cheese||595||59.6||7.1||0||7.1||10.3|
|3 Tbsp. tomato paste||45||0||10.5||3||7.5||1.5|
|3 cups mozzarella cheese||1008||75.1||7.4||0||7.4||74.5|
|1/2 tsp. dried oregano||1||0||0.3||0.2||0.1||0|
|1 Tbsp. fresh basil||1||0||0.1||0||0.1||0.1|
|dash red pepper flakes||1||0||0.1||0.1||0||0|
|1 tsp. salt||0||0||0||0||0||0|
|1/4 tsp. pepper||1||0||0.2||0.2||0||0|
|3 oz. pepperoni||420||11.9||6||0.9||5.1||15.3|
|Per Serving (/9)||353||28||9||2||6||13|