I started Keto in Jan 2018 at a starting weight of 177 lbs. and never looked back. The first 40 lbs. came off within the first 6 months and the remaining 15 lbs. came off very slowly over the following 6 months and I’ve maintained my new size 0 for over a year now. Keto was an easy transition for me and suited my lifestyle.
I find Keto easy to follow even when traveling or eating out. 2017 was a difficult year for me with 3 surgeries and 2 pre-cancerous scares. I was able to find that Keto was a great way of eating to starve out any cancer cells in your body, which interested me with my recent health experiences. I am healthy today, have tons of energy, and am cancer-free. I’ve also introduced others to this way of eating after they inquired about my transformation.
1. What tactics did you employ to help you get to your goal? What did you find helped you get to your goals best?
The very first thing I did was compute my macros based upon the ruled.me keto calculator. I tracked my food intake & weight progress through My Fitness Pal. I felt that the tracking really helped me because I could go back and review my notes if my weight stalled, or if progress was slow.
I also read Keto Clarity and The Obesity Code to get a good scientific understanding of my new way of eating. I also joined the Ketogenic Success Facebook page for inspiration, motivation, and testimonials and purchased a few Keto recipe books.
2. What is the most impactful change you’ve made to your diet and why do you feel it’s been the most important?
Adding in the healthy fats keeps me satiated and full of energy. I feel that has been key to dropping the weight and feeling energetic at the same time.
3. What is the best single piece of advice you can give to someone that is just starting out?
Take pictures and measurements. Sometimes the scale isn’t moving, but your body is healing from the inside out and you will see noticeable changes with your tape measurements and pictures.
4. How do you feel your life is now that you’re at your goal?
I feel that I am back to my ‘old self’ again. I was overweight and unhealthy for about a 3 yr period of my life and felt horrible. I’ve dropped the weight, reset my mind and am much happier and healthier now. My mom says I have the sparkle back in my eyes.
5. What do you consider the biggest change in your day-to-day life?
I no longer have sugar cravings and my energy level has improved, as well as my sleeping habits.
6. What did you do to find support throughout your journey?
Ketogenic Success Facebook page was like a support group for me. I still check in daily for testimonials. The before/after pictures always amaze me and I pick up new tips and recipes from this group.
7. What do you currently do to manage your day-to-day diet?
Ensure that I have the basics stocked in my refrigerator and pantry to ensure that I keep on my plan.
8. What is your favorite keto recipe from www.ruled.me that’s become a staple?
Keto coffee every morning, so satiating and I feel like it is a treat.
9. If there is one thing that you could do differently during your journey, what would it be and why?
I would have taken my measurements earlier and probably introduced Keto coffee earlier, as I was having a difficult time in the beginning in getting all of my fat macros in.