My entire life I have been overweight. When I started the ketogenic diet I was at my all-time high of 270 pounds at 6 feet tall. One morning I bent over to put my shoes on and couldn’t breathe. I decided it was time to make a change. With diabetes and heart trouble running in my family I knew it would have to be a major one. I got some information on keto and decided it was the way to go.
I was a full-time college student at the time and working 2 jobs so it was difficult at first but once I got the hang of it my life changed. I gained more energy and self-esteem. I also got my highest GPA my last 2 semesters in college. After 11 months on keto, I am down to 185 pounds, increased my lifts in the gym, dropped 3 clothes sizes, and most of all developed a level of self-respect I never thought I could have.
My journey of losing weight and helping others with their journeys has made me love keto even more.
1. What tactics did you employ to help you get to your goal? What did you find helped you get to your goals best?
At first, I set small goals to give myself little victories and build confidence. After I got it in my mind that it was possible I set bigger goals and worked until I reached them and then set new ones.
2. What is the most impactful change you’ve made to your diet and why do you feel it’s been the most important?
The biggest change I made was cutting out carbs to a minimum. I used to eat a ton of junk food. Staying below total carbs a day from healthy foods has really changed how I feel. I no longer have that sluggish feeling after eating.
3. What is the best single piece of advice you can give to someone that is just starting out?
Stick with it. It’s going to get hard at times but you have to remember why you started. Get plenty of electrolytes and keep chasing your goals.
4. How do you feel your life is now that you’re at your goal?
I’m still working on my overall goal. I have passed previous goals I set and life is so much better. The health benefits that come along with losing weight makes you feel like a new person.
5. What do you consider the biggest change in your day-to-day life?
My biggest change is being active. One major benefit to keto is the increase in energy which allows you to keep going all day without crashing. Not only has the energy increased but the amount of time I need sleep ha decreased allowing for more time throughout the day.
6. What did you do to find support throughout your journey?
I kept in touch with others following the diet sharing stories and progress. Having others in your life on the same journey as you helps a lot. You can push each other and pick each other up when the other is struggling.
7. What do you currently do to manage your day-to-day diet?
Meal prep is a major factor in managing my day to day diet. Being aware of my schedule for the week and planning meals to fit my schedule helps cut out the urge to going to the easiest option which is typically fast food or carbs.
8. What is your favorite keto recipe from www.ruled.me that’s become a staple?
My favorite ruled.me recipe is definitely the keto pound cake. Whenever I crave a dessert that’s my go-to. It curbs the cravings and is delicious.
9. If there is one thing that you could do differently during your journey, what would it be and why?
I would have started sooner. After experiencing the amazing benefits that’s my biggest regret. I have adapted keto as my normal diet and plan to make it my lifestyle.