I love traditional lasagna as much as the next person, but my love for a rich and creamy white sauce is greater! This dish takes a typical low carb zucchini lasagna roll and kicks it up a creamy notch with sundried tomato alfredo sauce and a spinach and ricotta filling.
It may seem time-consuming to make these zucchini noodles with a vegetable peeler, but the process goes quickly once you get the hang of it! As for the sauce, it is so rich and creamy with a hint of sweet from the addition of sundried tomatoes. It’s a bit more carb friendly than a traditional red sauce and it still has that hit of tomato flavor to satisfy the balance of sweet and salty.
Each roll is packed full of ricotta and chopped baby spinach that really holds up to the baking process. These rolls are very filling. We recommend pairing them with a fresh green salad and a keto dinner is served!
Yields 5 servings, 4 rolls per serving of Creamy Spinach Alfredo Zucchini Rolls
- 2 medium zucchini
- 1 1/2 cups ricotta
- 1 cup Parmesan cheese, divided in half
- 2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 medium egg
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 2 medium cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup heavy cream
- ½ cup baby spinach, roughly chopped
- .5 ounces sun-dried tomatoes
1. Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees. Coat casserole dish with non-stick spray. Prepare the zucchini rolls by slicing each medium zucchini from end to end using a wide vegetable peeler. You will need 20 slices to fill a small casserole dish.
2. Prepare the filling by mixing the ricotta, half of the Parmesan cheese, basil, spinach, and egg in a large bowl. Scoop the filling into a pastry bag or large plastic bag and set aside.
3. Pre-heat a pan on the stove. Heat the butter, garlic, and cream in a small saucepan over medium heat. Stir in the remaining Parmesan cheese until the sauce thickens. Remove the sauce from the heat.
4. Ladle a third of the sauce into the bottom of the casserole dish.
5. Cut the tip of the piping bag or plastic bag. Squeeze a strip of filling onto each of the zucchini noodle strips.
6. Roll each strip gently, being careful not to squeeze the filling out.
7. Place each zucchini roll into the casserole dish spiral side down into the sauce.
8. Stir the sundried tomatoes into the remaining sauce. Spoon the sauce over the rolls.
9. Cover with foil and bake for 25-30 minutes, until the top the sauce is brown and bubbling. Remove from oven and cool to serve.
This makes a total of 5 servings, 4 rolls per serving of Creamy Spinach Alfredo Zucchini Rolls. Each serving comes out to be 420.82 Calories, 36.7g Fat, 7.12g Net Carbs, and 16.42g Protein.
|Creamy Spinach Alfredo Zucchini Rolls||Calories||Fats(g)||Carbs(g)||Fiber(g)||Net Carbs(g)||Protein(g)|
|2 medium zucchini||65||1.6||12||4.3||7.7||4.9|
|1 1/2 cups ricotta||257||15||9.6||0||9.6||21|
|1 cup Parmesan cheese||432||28||2||0||2||38|
|2 teaspoons dried basil||3.2||0.1||0.7||0.5||0.2||0.3|
|1 medium egg||63||4.2||0.3||0||0.3||5.5|
|4 tablespoons butter||408||48||0||0||0||0.5|
|2 medium cloves garlic||8.9||0||2||0.1||1.9||0.4|
|1 cup heavy cream||809||86||6.5||0||6.5||6.8|
|½ cup baby spinach||21||0.2||3.4||2.2||1.2||2.7|
|0.5 ounce sun-dried tomatoes||37||0.4||7.9||1.7||6.2||2|