On January 13, 2017, I was two months shy of turning 50 and desperate to improve my health. I was blessed that day to stumble upon the Keto way of life. On that day, I spent hours watching videos, reading scientific journals and blogs, and learning the key to a healthy life was all about controlling my insulin. That was the last day I quit eating all sugar, grains, wheat, and starches and the first day of the rest of my healthy life.
I have been overweight my entire adult life and have tried unsuccessfully to lose the weight and feel better. I am very strong-willed and stubborn and was able to stick to many “diet” plans, but I would lose a little bit of weight and then stall. In fact, I was actively involved in the “Diabetes Prevention Program” and not seeing results I wanted or feeling better. Thank God for Keto! I feel amazing all day, every day. I have so much energy – it’s really quite unbelievable.
I was at my high weight in the fall of 2015 when I visited my sleep doctor. 221 pounds on my short 5 foot 1.5 inch body. I was miserable. I took my C-Pap machine home and that was really the very first step in my very slow “getting healthy” journey. Good sleep is so important. Once I was able to sleep better, I was able to focus on other small steps –like quitting sweet sugar and refined foods. By the time I discovered Keto, I was no longer addicted to the sweet, white stuff – and I do believe that helped me quit the bread, potato, and pasta cold turkey.
I have been Keto for a little over one year now. On January 4, 2018 – I reached my goal weight of 126, and since then I have lost a few more pounds. I am trusting my body will settle where it wants to settle as I continue to eat the delicious food available on this way of life. Bacon is my favorite Keto food!
Turning 50 during this past year while doing Keto has been the most awesome experience. I may be 50, look 30, but I feel 20!
I have so many improved health markers:
- Obstructive Sleep Apnea gone – no more CPAP machine!
- Fatty liver/NAFLD – gone! Confirmed by ultrasound last week.
- Daily headaches and monthly migraines gone.
- Cystic acne gone.
- Joint inflammation gone.
- Obesity gone (43% of my former self is gone) 95 lbs gone and goal weight achieved!
- Bouts of insomnia gone.
- Daily energy level – 100% improved.
- Hunger completely controlled.
- No cravings.
- No emotional attachment to “where’s my next meal coming from?”
- My mood has improved a million percent – I am never, ever in a bad mood!
Following Keto has released me from a future of Type 2 Diabetes and other chronic conditions due to metabolic dysfunction. I will always eat this way – such an easy and delicious way to fuel my body. And now I’m looking forward to the next 50 years! Bring it on – I am Keto for Life!
1. What tactics did you employ to help you get to your goal? What did you find helped you get to your goals best?
I am a very type-A goal oriented individual, so found that setting short term goals was extremely motivating. Small successes snowballed into big, life-changing successes.
2. What is the most impactful change you’ve made to your diet and why do you feel it’s been the most important?
Not eating throughout the day as recommended by the SAD – standard American diet. No snacking was a huge key to my success. And you don’t need to snack when your meals consist of good, healthy fats to keep you full for hours!
3. What is the best single piece of advice you can give to someone that is just starting out?
Learn and understand the science of your insulin hormone. Immediately I started asking myself “what will this do to my insulin response?” If a bad food choice or timing would spike it, it would not go in my mouth.
4. How do you feel your life is now that you’re at your goal?
Overwhelmingly amazing. I feel beyond blessed to have traveled and succeeded in this journey after a lifelong struggle with my weight and metabolic dysfunction.
5. What do you consider the biggest change in your day-to-day life?
I am bursting with joy! I also have energy 24/7 and am more active at 50 than I was in my 20s!
6. What did you do to find support throughout your journey?
I read blogs, such as RuledMe.com and joined Facebook Keto groups. I also started my own private Facebook group in response to all the requests from personal friends. I couldn’t keep up with responding to all the questions, so I share Keto ideas with about 65 friends on that page.
7. What do you currently do to manage your day-to-day diet?
This is an interesting question because this is truly a way of life now. I rarely have to give it much thought! I stick to a pretty normal routine!
8. What is your favorite keto recipe from www.ruled.me that’s become a staple?
I LOVE the crispy crackling pork shoulder recipe. It’s great for large gatherings. In fact, I’m making it tomorrow!
9. If there is one thing that you could do differently during your journey, what would it be and why?
I wish I would’ve started a blog on Day 1. I have so much to share! My heart is just bursting and overflowing with joy. My motto through this journey has been “Choose Joy”. I choose it and want to share it every day. Lives can be changed miraculously with this way of life!