I had the opportunity to go to my first proper Farmer’s Market last weekend – and wow, did it ever live up to my expectations! Garlic, peppers of all kinds and assortments (stuffed poblanos, anyone?), buffalo meat, eggs, sheep cheese, green beans, homemade soaps, fresh flowers, beautiful pumpkins, and… PURPLE CAULIFLOWER! I was super excited to find purple cauliflower as it’s just at the end of the season and I’ve been on a mission for it.
We decided to pick up the purple cauliflower and had fun experimenting with it – did you know it turns water green when steamed? My girlfriend made for us one of her specialty dishes – cauliwaffles! We had them two ways, the first breakfast was eggs benedict with prosciutto, poached eggs, and hollandaise sauce. The second morning was with a homemade smoked salmon dip – the waffles taste GREAT reheated in the oven, but are amazing cold too. Both dishes hit the spot on the cooler fall mornings we’re having now.
These things are perfectly crisp and all the different flavors of cheeses come through with each and every bite. These are also pretty “oops” proof – you can put them in the pan and forget them for a bit, and they’ll still turn out great – even after leaving them in for 10+ minutes, I’ve never had a problem with them sticking.
It really helps to have a belgian waffle maker that can flip because it helps distribute the heat evenly and cook it throughly when its upside down.
Yields 4 servings (halves) Cauliflower Breakfast Waffles
Breakfast Cauliflower Waffles
- 1 ½ cups grated raw cauliflower
- ½ cup mozzarella cheese
- ¼ cup Parmesan cheese
- ½ cup cheddar cheese
- 3 large eggs
- 3 tablespoons chopped chives
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- Salt and pepper to taste
Eggs Benedict (Single Serving)
- 2 large eggs
- 2 slices prosciutto
- 2 tablespoons Hollandaise sauce (Trader Joe’s Brand)
Herbed Salmon Spread (Single Serving)
- 1.2 ounces smoked salmon
- 1 ounce cream cheese
- 1 tablespoon sour cream
- 2 teaspoons chopped chives
- ½ teaspoon dill weed
- Pinch garlic powder
- Pinch onion powder
1. Get your fresh cauliflower and chives ready. Break down the cauliflower into florets so that you can easily grate by hand or in a food processor (with grating attachment).
2. Grate cauliflower and cheese using your food processor, then remove the bowl from the base.
3. Add chopped chives, 3 eggs, and seasoning to taste.
4. Heat belgian style waffle maker and when ready spoon cauliflower mixture into the waffle maker.
5. Let cook, flip, and cook on the other side. This is ~8-10 minutes.
6. Take your pick on what to top it with – you can have eggs benedict style with 2 poached eggs, 2 slices of prosciutto, and 2 tbsp. hollandaise sauce, OR —
7. You can make your own salmon spread (recipe up top) to create a delicious smokey and herbed flavored waffle for breakfast. Both fantastic and delicious in their own ways. Enjoy!
This makes 4 total servings of Cauliflower Breakfast Waffle. Per half waffle, the macros come out to be 181.5 Calories, 12.59g Fats, 2.86g Net Carbs, and 13.43g Protein.
With the Eggs Benedict variation, the macros come out to be 634.5 Calories, 49.1g Fats, 4.58g Net Carbs, and 38.99g Protein per serving.
With the Herbed Salmon Spread variation, the macros come out to be 345.5 Calories, 26.16g Fats, 5.16g Net Carbs, and 21.78g Protein per serving.
|Breakfast Cauliflower Waffles||Calories||Fats(g)||Carbs(g)||Fiber(g)||Net Carbs(g)||Protein(g)|
|1 ½ cups grated raw cauliflower||40||0.45||7.98||3.2||4.78||3.08|
|½ cup mozzarella cheese||168||12.52||1.23||0||1.23||12.42|
|¼ cup Parmesan cheese||62||4.1||0.51||0||0.51||5.68|
|½ cup cheddar cheese||228||18.82||1.75||0||1.75||12.92|
|3 large eggs||214||14.27||1.08||0||1.08||18.84|
|3 tablespoons + 2 teaspoons chopped chives||4||0.08||0.48||0.3||0.18||0.36|
|½ teaspoon onion powder||4||0.01||0.95||0.2||0.75||0.12|
|½ teaspoon garlic powder||5||0.01||1.13||0.1||1.03||0.26|
|¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes||1||0.08||0.25||0.1||0.15||0.05|
|Eggs Benedict (Single Serving)|
|2 large eggs||143||9.51||0.72||0||0.72||12.56|
|2 slices prosciutto||140||9||1||0||1||12|
|2 tablespoons Hollandaise sauce||170||18||0||0||0||1|
|Per Serving (with waffle)||634.5||49.1||5.56||0.98||4.58||38.99|
|Herbed Salmon Spread (Single Serving)|
|1.2 ounces smoked salmon||40||1.47||0||0||0||6.22|
|1 ounce cream cheese||99||9.76||1.56||0||1.56||1.74|
|1 tablespoon sour cream||24||2.32||0.56||0||0.56||0.29|
|½ teaspoon dill weed||1||0.02||0.28||0.1||0.18||0.1|
|Per Serving (with waffle)||345.5||26.16||6.24||1.08||5.16||21.78|