This sweet and savory combo is perfect for breakfast or brunch, but could also be part of a light spring lunch. The fresh basil pairs nicely with the other ingredients so it’s not overpowering. Halloumi is a slightly springy cheese that’s great for grilling and super photogenic- great for those Instagram food shots!
This recipe requires minimal prep time; the most intensive part of it is slicing the halloumi cheese. Make sure the slices are the same thickness so that they cook evenly. We recommend a sharp knife, a clean piece of string or unwaxed floss for precision. You can also keep the Panini grill halfway open to prevent the cheese from getting flattened.
Yields 1 serving of Blackberry Basil and Spinach Pressed Halloumi
- 4 ounces halloumi cheese
- 2 teaspoons mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup spinach
- 4 leaves basil, torn
- 0.8 ounces cucumber, sliced
- 6 whole blackberries, sliced into halves
1. Pre-heat Panini press to medium.
2. Slice the halloumi cheese into equal rectangles.
3. Place the halloumi cheese on Panini press until it begins to brown.
4. Flip both pieces of cheese to brown the other sides.
5. Layer the mayonnaise, spinach, cucumber slices, torn basil, and sliced blackberries on one slice of cheese.
6. Place the other slice of halloumi cheese on top to create a sandwich.
7. Close the grill and press for about 1 minute. Turn off heat to the Panini press.
8. Remove the pressed halloumi from the grill. Top with any remaining berries and serve warm.
This makes a total of 1 serving of Blackberry Basil and Spinach Pressed Halloumi. Each serving comes out to be 434 Calories, 32.3g Fat, 5.7g Net Carbs, and 27.6g Protein.
|Blackberry, Basil, and Spinach Pressed Halloumi||Calories||Fats(g)||Carbs(g)||Fiber(g)||Net Carbs(g)||Protein(g)|
|4 ounces halloumi cheese||340||25.2||2.5||0||2.5||25.2|
|2 teaspoons mayonnaise||63||6.9||0.1||0||0.1||0.1|
|1/4 cup spinach||10.3||0.1||1.7||1.1||0.6||1.3|
|4 leaves basil, torn||0.5||0||0.1||0||0.1||0.1|
|0.8 ounces cucumber, sliced||3.4||0||0.8||0.1||0.7||0.1|
|6 whole blackberries, sliced into halves||16.8||0.1||3.7||2||1.7||0.5|