If you love the combination of flavors that make twice baked potatoes so good, then you know that it’s really the filling ingredients that you enjoy so much. The potato itself is just a conduit for getting goodies like sour cream, butter, bacon bits, and cheese into our mouths in a single bite.
With a ketogenic diet, it’s OK to have it all as long as you don’t stuff it into a potato. Zucchini makes the perfect low-carb vessel for this heavenly filling. First, crisp up a few strips of bacon. While those are cooling down and draining on paper towels, scoop out the zucchini and mix up the filling. By the time that’s done the bacon will be ready to crumble and add. Then it’s on to filling and baking. That’s it!
The best part about these stuffed zucchini is the balance of rich cheese and cream with the onion and zesty jalapeno pepper. If you don’t eat jalapenos you can just omit them and know that this will still be a dish you want to make again and again.
Serve this with grilled meats as a side, it can be the potato to your grilled steak! Or put a few of these together and have a couple as a meal.
Store leftovers up to 2 days in the refrigerator. You can even make these one day ahead if you like.
Yields 4 servings of Twice Baked Potato Style Zucchini
- 2 medium zucchini squash
- 4 strips of no sugar added bacon, cooked, cooled and crumbled
- ½ cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- ¼ cup onion, minced
- ¼ cup sour cream
- 2 ounces cream cheese, softened at room temperature
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon jalapeno pepper, minced
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Optional: Garnish: jalapeno pepper slice and additional bacon crumbles
1. Get all of your ingredients read then preheat your oven to 350°F. Have a small baking dish handy (no need to grease).
2 . Wash and dry zucchini, cut it in half, then cut each half in half lengthwise. Use a spoon to scoop out most of the insides. Chop the scooped flesh and place in a bowl. Place the zucchini “boats” in the baking dish.
3. Add the remaining filling ingredients to the bowl and mash together to combine.
4. Divide mixture evenly between the 8 zucchini sections, filling them completely. Top with jalapeno slice and crumbled bacon, if desired.
5. Bake 30 minutes until filling bubbles and zucchini is becoming tender. Remove from oven, cool 5 minutes, then transfer to serving plates.
This makes a total of 4 servings Twice Baked Potato Style Zucchini. Each piece comes out to be 259.25 Calories, 19.64g Fats, 6.08g Net Carbs, and 7.31g Protein.
|Twice Baked Potato Style Zucchini||Calories||Fats(g)||Carbs(g)||Fiber(g)||Net Carbs(g)||Protein(g)|
|2 medium zucchini squash||67||1.25||12.19||3.9||8.29||4.74|
|4 strips of no sugar added bacon||178||14.02||0.44||0||0.44||11.58|
|½ cup cheddar cheese, shredded||228||9.44||0.88||0||0.88||6.48|
|¼ cup onion, minced||46||0.12||10.74||2||8.74||1.27|
|¼ cup sour cream||114||11.13||2.66||0||2.66||1.4|
|2 ounces cream cheese||198||19.53||3.13||0||3.13||3.49|
|2 tablespoons butter||204||23.04||0.02||0||0.02||0.24|
|1 tablespoon minced jalapeno pepper||2||0.02||0.36||0.2||0.16||0.05|