At 42 years old and being overweight my whole life, I was recovering from a car accident and gaining evenore weight. I saw a friend was having success with a low carb diet, and asked her about it. She told me to start by checking out this website, Ruled.me
A few minutes in and I was hooked! I eliminated sugar from my diet right away, and started doing more research into Keto and what foods I should be eating along with tracking macros. I saw immediate success, and I have never looked back.
I’m now 44. I was wearing size 24 and now wear a size 8. I’ve lost 120lbs. But more than that, I have found me! I have never felt better about my body, or prouder of myself.
I have become healthier for me and my son. I have found inspiration in so many others going through the same struggles. I haven’t cheated on myself even once over the past 2 years, and I intend to keep up this way of eating for the rest of my now longer life.
1. What tactics did you employ to help you get to your goal? What did you find helped you get to your goals best?
I took pictures. A LOT of pictures. And looked through them often. It’s hard to see the changes in our own bodies, photos make that possible.
I also used a full body mirror. I put a piece of tape on my floor in front of it, and every week I drew my outline on my mirror. Seeing the outline get progressively smaller was an amazing motivation! Unfortunately it didn’t photograph well so I don’t have that to show.
2. What is the most impactful change you’ve made to your diet and why do you feel it’s been the most important?
Eliminating almost all processed foods. Protein powders have been the exception, but that’s due to some dental appliances that make eating at work messy. Lol
3. What is the best single piece of advice you can give to someone that is just starting out?
Don’t fall for the gimmicks. You do not have to buy any pills. Do your research, cut out all refined carbs. Get your macros from the Ruled.me keto calculator, and track them religiously for at least a month.
4. How do you feel your life is now that you’re at your goal?
I feel incredible! I enjoy seeing myself in clothes, and even out of them.
5. What do you consider the biggest change in your day-to-day life?
I don’t think about food anymore. What my next meal will be, no more emotional eating.
6. What did you do to find support throughout your journey?
I joined a few Facebook groups, and started posting my meals on Instagram to keep myself accountable. There’s a large community of people who are happy to support each other!
7. What do you currently do to manage your day-to-day diet?
I still track my macros once in a while, so that I don’t get off course. I don’t have snacks, that’s an easy way to backslide.
8. What is your favorite keto recipe from www.ruled.me that’s become a staple?
Taco Salad! Weekly. It’s one of the easiest, fastest, best tasting keto friendly foods!
9. If there is one thing that you could do differently during your journey, what would it be and why?
I would have liked to have gotten a coach or meal plan to start me off. There’s a lot of misinformation out there, and sorting through everything on my own was a bit daunting.