The good ol’ egg salad. Nothing wrong with that, right? Wrong. I have so many bad memories of egg salads being brought to barbecues, left out in the sun for hours, and served out to everyone. That taste of the eggs starting to rot is so off-putting, I haven’t allowed myself to make one in a long time, but I decided to experiment with this tangy bacon egg salad.
The distinct taste of the red onions really take this dish to the next level! It’s spicy, tangy, and goes great with meat. Meat!? Seriously, next time you make ground beef, mix it with some of this egg salad. You can’t go wrong.
I HIGHLY suggest that you use a homemade mayonnaise in this. It is so much more flavorful and overall more satisfying. I also suggest farm fresh eggs, and if you need a guide to boil them, we have a how-to on boiling eggs.
In fact, after I made the egg salad, I mixed it with some of the low carb chili I made, and it was absolutely superb.
Don’t forget to leave a comment to let me know how you liked it!
Yields 3 servings of Tangy Bacon Egg Salad.
- 5 large eggs, hard boiled
- ¼ cup mayonnaise
- 3 slices bacon
- 2 tablespoons rendered bacon fat
- ¼ medium red onion
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
1. Slice up your bacon into thin slices and add them to a pan on medium heat.
2. Let the bacon cook on medium heat. It takes longer than if you are to fry it fast, but in my opinion it comes out better.
3. While the bacon is cooking, slice up your 1/4 red onion.
4. Keep letting it cook, we want it extra crispy. It will add great texture to the egg salad.
5. The bacon looks done! Nice and crisp.
6. Take out your bacon, keeping as much of the drippings in the pan as possible. Rest your bacon on paper towels to cool off and get extra crispy.
7. You should have some hardboiled eggs previous made. Add your bacon drippings to them. Please excuse my disastrously peeled eggs here, I had used a different method of boiling eggs than what I had posted and they turned out pretty terrible.
8. Add your chopped red onion, 1/4 cup of mayonnaise, and 2 tbsp. dijon mustard to the eggs.
9. Mix the eggs up well, smashing them until desired consistency.
10. Add your cayenne pepper and black pepper to the egg salad and mix it well.
11. Finally, add your bacon to the mix and fold it in gently. We want to keep the texture of the bacon chunky and crispy.
12. Serve it up, enjoy!
Per serving, it comes out to: 376.67 Calories, 33.87g Fats, 2.86g Net Carbs, and 13.92g Protein.
|Tangy Bacon Egg Salad||Calories||Fats(g)||Carbs(g)||Fiber(g)||Net Carbs(g)||Protein(g)|
|5 large eggs, hard boiled||358||23.77||1.8||0||1.8||31.4|
|¼ cup mayonnaise||374||41.17||0.31||0||0.31||0.53|
|3 slices bacon||133||10.51||0.33||0||0.33||8.68|
|2 tablespoons rendered bacon fat||231||25.67||0||0||0||0|
|¼ medium red onion||26||0.07||6.25||0.7||5.55||0.66|
|2 teaspoons Dijon mustard||6||0.33||0.58||0.4||0.18||0.37|
|¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper||1||0.08||0.25||0.1||0.15||0.05|
|¼ teaspoon black pepper||1||0.02||0.37||0.1||0.27||0.06|