This strawberry rhubarb swirl ice cream is the perfect way to cool off this summer! Luxurious strawberry rhubarb sauce is swirled into creamy vanilla ice cream to create this crowd-pleasing dessert. If you make this ice cream, be prepared for it to disappear quickly—it always does in my house!
Rhubarb’s distinct flavor paired with strawberries is a long-standing combination. There’s a reason this combination is so popular – it’s delicious! The sweetness of strawberries perfectly complements the tartness of rhubarb. This ice cream recipe is nostalgic of a traditional strawberry rhubarb pie topped with a big scoop of vanilla ice cream, just without the crust!
Not a rhubarb fan? Additional strawberries can be substituted for rhubarb to make your own strawberry swirl ice cream. Keep in mind that this adjustment will increase the carb count for each serving.
For the ideal creamy texture, this ice cream is best served after 3-4 hours in the freezer. To keep the ice cream as smooth as possible, I recommend stirring the ice cream every 30 minutes or so for the first 2 hours. If you leave the ice cream in the freezer for an extended period, allow the ice cream to sit in room temperature for 15 minutes to soften. Since almond milk is used to keep down the carbs, it doesn’t remain as soft as traditional ice cream when kept in the freezer for a long time.
This strawberry rhubarb swirl ice cream is a favorite of both kids and adults alike! It’s the ideal summer treat to make any occasion special.
Yields 6 servings of Strawberry Rhubarb Swirl Ice Cream
Strawberry Rhubarb Sauce:
- 2 tablespoons granulated stevia/erythritol blend
- ½ teaspoon xanthan gum
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- ½ cup sliced strawberries
- ½ cup diced rhubarb
- 16 ounces heavy whipping cream
- ½ tablespoon vanilla extract
- ½ cup granulated stevia/erythritol blend
- ¾ cup unsweetened almond milk
*The stevia erythritol blend we use in this recipe is twice as sweet as sugar. One teaspoon of the blend is as sweet as two teaspoons of sugar. If using a different sugar-free sweetener, adjust amount accordingly.
For the strawberry rhubarb sauce:
1. In a medium saucepan, combine the sweetener and xanthan gum.
2. Gradually whisk in water and lemon juice until combined.
3. Add strawberries and rhubarb and bring saucepan to medium heat, stirring frequently.
4. Heat mixture until the rhubarb softens (about 4-6 minutes) and then remove from heat. Let sauce cool to room temperature before adding to the ice cream.
For the ice cream:
5. In a large bowl, combine heavy whipping cream, vanilla, and sweetener.
6. Using an electric mixer, whip the mixture until stiff peaks form.
7. Gradually add the almond milk, blending between each addition. Beat mixture until it re-thickens slightly.
8. Transfer mixture to ice cream machine and freeze per manufacturer’s instructions.
9. Once the mixture has reached the creamy texture of ice cream, transfer it to a freezer-safe container. Add the strawberry rhubarb sauce and swirl together with a spoon. Cool in freezer for 2-3 hours before serving, stirring at 30 minute increments.
This makes a total of 6 servings of Strawberry Rhubarb Swirl Ice Cream. Each serving comes out to be 285 Calories, 29.1g Fats, 3.62g Net Carbs, and 2.64g Protein.
|Strawberry Rhubarb Swirl Ice Cream||Calories||Fats(g)||Carbs(g)||Fiber(g)||Net Carbs(g)||Protein(g)|
|½ cup + 2 tbsp. granulated stevia/erythritol blend||0||0||0||0||0||0|
|½ teaspoon xanthan gum||0||0||1||1||0||0|
|1 teaspoon lemon juice||1||0.01||0.34||0||0.34||0.02|
|½ cup (83 g) sliced strawberries||27||0.25||6.37||1.7||4.67||0.56|
|½ cup diced rhubarb||13||0.12||2.77||1.1||1.67||0.55|
|16 ounces heavy whipping cream||1621||172.03||13.06||0||13.06||13.54|
|½ tablespoon vanilla extract||19||0||0.82||0||0.82||0|
|¾ cup unsweetened almond milk||29||2.16||1.14||0||1.14||1.16|