Chicken Tikka Masala is a super delicious and flavorful curry that you can now make keto! You can serve this on its own and it’s an amazing dish, though you can pair it with some sides to “bulk” it up in a sense. I decided to serve this with cauliflower rice, with a 1/6 serving per person.
The cauliflower rice was just riced cauliflower sauteed in a dry pan. Once the cauliflower was dried out, I added butter, cumin, and coriander. Upon finishing, I added salt and pepper to taste (to keep moisture leakage lower). You can also add different ingredients depending on your mood, though this “rice” is an awesome keto side dish in its own regard. Another great addition is to cook frozen spinach and to wring out as much moisture as possible. Add it into the slow cooker with about 10 minutes left, allowing it to soak up any extra flavor from the curry.
I played around the with the recipe a few times, eventually getting to this formula. Originally I had added fresh onion to the mix, but I didn’t find a large difference in flavor between the onion and the onion powder. The raw onion essentially disintegrates and adds too many extra carbs to be considered for the flavor profile.
I definitely don’t recommend skipping the cilantro. It adds the perfect bite of freshness that’s needed in such a rich and hearty dish. Sprinkled over the top, it’s a fantastic addition to the recipe at the end.
Yields 5 Servings
- 1 1/2 lbs. Chicken Thighs, bone-in skin-on
- 1 lb. Chicken Thighs, boneless/skinless
- 2 tbsp. Olive Oil
- 2 tsp. Onion Powder
- 3 cloves Garlic, minced
- 1 inch Ginger Root, grated
- 3 tbsp. Tomato Paste
- 5 tsp. Garam Masala
- 2 tsp. Smoked Paprika
- 4 tsp. Kosher Salt
- 10 oz. can Diced Tomatoes
- 1 cup Heavy Cream
- 1 cup Coconut Milk (from the carton)
- 1 tsp. Guar Gum
- Fresh and chopped Cilantro (for topping)
1. De-bone chicken on the bone-in chicken thighs. Chop all chicken pieces into bite sized pieces. Make sure to keep the skin on for the pieces that have it. I prefer to use kitchen shears here as it makes cutting the chicken very fast and easy.
2. Add chicken to slow cooker and grate 1 inch knob of ginger over the top.
3. Add all dry spices into the slow cooker and mix well.
4. Add canned diced tomatoes,olive oil, and tomato paste into slow cooker, then mix well again.
5. Lastly, add 1/2 cup coconut milk and mix together thoroughly. Cook on low for 6 hours or high for 3 hours.
6. Once the slow cooker is done, add the remaining coconut milk, heavy cream, and guar gum and mix thoroughly into the chicken. It should help the curry thicken well; serve over cauliflower rice or vegetable of your choice.
This makes a total of 5 servings of Slow Cooker Keto Chicken Tikka Masala. Each serving comes out to be 493 Calories, 41.2g Fats, 5.8g Net Carbs, and 26g Protein.
|Keto Chicken Tikka Masala||Calories||Fats (g)||Carbs (g)||Fiber (g)||Net Carbs (g)||Protein (g)|
|1 1/2 lbs. Chicken Thighs, skin on||672||48||0||0||0||54|
|1 lb. Chicken Thighs, skinless||520||28||0||0||0||72|
|2 tbsp. Olive Oil||240||28||0||0||0||0|
|2 tsp. Onion Powder||10||0||2||0||2||0|
|3 cloves Garlic, minced||15||0||3||0||3||0|
|1 inch Ginger Root, grated||5||0||1||0||1||0|
|3 tbsp. Tomato Paste||45||0||9||3||6||3|
|5 tsp. Garam Masala||30||0||5||0||5||0|
|2 tsp. Smoked Paprika||13||1||3||2||1||1|
|4 tsp. Kosher Salt||0||0||0||0||0||0|
|10 oz. can Diced Tomatoes||63||0||13||3||10||0|
|1 cup Heavy Cream||800||96||0||0||0||0|
|1 cup Coconut Milk (carton)||45||5||2||1||1||0|
|Fresh cilantro, chopped||4||0||0||0||0||0|
|1 tsp. Guar Gum||3||0||0||0||0||0|
|Per Serving ( /5 )||493||41.2||7.6||1.8||5.8||26|