Hello! I started Keto May 1, 2017 in order to gain control of my health. I was dodging a type 2 diabetes diagnosis, HBP, PCOS was out of control, depression, as well as my weight was at an all-time high (228lbs @ 5’3″). Since then I have lost 90+ lbs and have turned my life around.
I no longer am suffering the symptoms of my out of control health. Ruled.me was my first and is my favorite resource to send people to when they ask where to get started. I am currently maintaining my weight loss by continuing to practice this way of eating, as well as lifting heavy weights.
I would love to share more about my journey and spread the keto word, Thanks!
1. What tactics did you employ to help you get to your goal? What did you find helped you get to your goals best?
When first starting out, I employed an “all in” approach- I threw out all and any bad foods in the house and the family had to “deal” with it. I also dove head first into reading and researching this lifestyle and immersed myself into the ketogenic community- at first on the ruled.me forum and then I also involved myself with the keto community on Instagram.
2. What is the most impactful change you’ve made to your diet and why do you feel it’s been the most important?
The most impactful change I would say is “Mindful eating.” Being aware of what I am eating and why. Making conscious decisions on the fuel I give my body vs. mindlessly eating and remaining unsatisfied and improperly fueled.
3. What is the best single piece of advice you can give to someone that is just starting out?
Research! Geek out. Get into it and take control of your nutrition and health.
4. How do you feel your life is now that you’re at your goal?
I feel like night and day.
I cannot imagine where I would be if I hadn’t started back in May 2017. I am glad I didn’t stop this time and can consider myself a success story. My health- physical and mental-are restored and that is a priceless feeling.
5. What do you consider the biggest change in your day-to-day life?
I no longer live meal to meal. Food does not control me. I have freedom from food!
6. What did you do to find support throughout your journey?
I found like-minded groups and stuck with them! Forums and groups on social media were essential for me, they still are! I love to share and learn with others.
7. What do you currently do to manage your day-to-day diet?
I have almost 3 years under my belt, so it has just become a way of life for me, personally. I have changed how I shop, cook, eat…Being mindful and honest with my food choices. I plan meals and menus for myself and my family a few days ahead of time so that I know I am not set up to fail.
8. What is your favorite keto recipe from www.ruled.me that’s become a staple?
I would say the reverse sear steak – that is something anyone can prepare even beginners in the kitchen, my second favorite would have to be the peanut butter bars, I’ve been making a variant of those since I started keto! Peanut butter and chocolate is life – am I right?
9. If there is one thing that you could do differently during your journey, what would it be and why?
I would say journal a bit more! Take body measurements. Don’t let naysayers make you doubt the process. This journey has been so amazing and I have truly learned so much I cannot even think of what I could have done differently. Any struggles I have experienced were necessary in order to make this a lifestyle change for the long haul.