So, what if I were to tell you that the pasta you see above is actually low carb and fits well into the keto lifestyle? I know, I was gob-smacked too! Pasta and rice have always been the 2 true things that I miss on keto. Cauliflower rice does the trick (especially when fried, mmmm) for one part, but the pasta I never figured out. Zoodles, shirataki noodles, kelp noodles…none of them ever did the trick for me. The resemblance was there, but the taste and texture were never there.
These noodles from my cookbook, however, taste like the real deal. They taste like whole wheat pasta that was freshly made by an actual chef. Slightly crisp (al dente) on the outside, and perfectly soft on the inside – with the taste that matches the looks. With the addition of a rich and hearty carbonara sauce that’s filled with bacon bits, bacon grease, and delicious fats, you really can’t go wrong with it.
It comes out to be a total of 72% calories from fats, which is a great meal for keto and a great meal for you. You can grab the recipe for the noodles from my cookbook Keto-fied! Comfort Foods Made Low Carb, along with a bunch of other recipes including bread, Chinese takeout, pizza, gumbo, ice cream as well as a variety of sweet pastries and desserts.
This pasta is extremely calorie dense, so just watch yourself that you don’t go overboard with it – serve it with a side of roasted broccoli, green beans, or a simple spinach salad. Sit back, relax, and enjoy the food you never thought you’d be eating again!
Yields 3 servings of Low Carb Pasta a la Carbonara
- 2/3 recipe pasta, from Keto-fied!
- 5 ounces bacon
- 2 large egg yolks
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon heavy whipping cream
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- Ground black pepper to taste
1. Prepare pasta as described in Keto-fied: Comfort Food Made Low Carb.
2. Freeze bacon for 15 minutes prior for easier cutting. Slice bacon into small cubes and cook until crisp over high heat.
3. Set bacon aside to cool on paper towels and become even crispier.
4. Save 1/3 bacon grease and keep other 2/3 in the pan. Mix together 1 large egg and 2 large egg yolks.
5. Measure out 1/3 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese.
6. Add Parmesan, cream, and saved bacon grease to the egg yolk mixture. Stir together well until a thick sauce is formed.
7. Cook pasta in a pan with the bacon grease that is left over high heat.
8. Add pasta to a mixing bowl, then add crisped bacon and toss.
9. Add carbonara sauce to the pasta along with 2 tbsp. freshly chopped basil and fresh cracked black pepper. Mix together until all strands of pasta is covered completely.
10. Garnish with extra fresh cracked black pepper and chopped basil.
This makes 3 total servings of Low Carb Pasta a la Carbonara. Per serving, it comes out to 553 Calories, 44g Fats, 3.8g Net Carbs, and 21.7g Protein. A perfectly ketogenic meal that includes delicious and realistic tasting pasta!
|Low Carb Pasta a la Carbonara||Calories||Fats (g)||Carbs (g)||Fiber (g)||Net Carbs (g)||Protein (g)|
|2/3 Pasta Recipe from Keto-fied!||634.3||38.9||33.3||24.4||8.8||25.1|
|5 Oz. Bacon||650||64||0||0||0||16|
|2 large Egg Yolks||109||9||1||0||1||5|
|1 large Egg||70||6||0.5||0||0.5||6|
|1 tbsp. Heavy Cream||50||5||0||0||0||0|
|1/3 cup Grated Parmesan||142||9||1||0||1||13|
|3 tbsp. Fresh Chopped Basil||3||0||0||0||0||0|
|Fresh Ground Black Pepper||2||0||0||0||0||0|
|Per Serving ( /3 )||553.4||44.0||11.9||8.1||3.8||21.7|