This is a great change in flavor from the regular meals I usually make that are rich and hearty. These meatballs are extremely fresh and flavorful in their own way, bringing the bell pepper and lime to the forefront of each and every bite. They were such a treat to have while the snow was blowing outside, reminding us that spring is just around the corner.
You can even serve these as a party appetizer like I did by adding a dab of guacamole underneath the meatballs and then sticking a skewer through them. Or, you know, a toothpick if you don’t have any of those fancy mini-skewers. They work wonders and people just love them.
The guacamole goes great with these and is super simple to make. Seriously – it takes just about 30 seconds to whip this stuff together. Even if you don’t want to make the meatballs, you can use this fool-proof guac to slab on to just about anything you’d like.
Note: If you need to get more fat into your meal, you can easily serve more guac with the meatballs. Or, mix some mayonnaise into the guacamole for a creamier and more filling entree. You could even use fattier ground chicken – so if you go this route go for 20% fat/80% protein.
Yields 3 Servings of Low Carb Chili Lime Meatballs
- 1 pound ground chicken (90%/10%)
- 2 tablespoons flaxseed meal
- 2 tablespoons almond flour
- 2 medium green onions, chopped
- ½ medium red bell pepper
- 2 tablespoons cilantro, chopped
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- ½ medium lime, juice and zest
- 2 ounces cheddar cheese
- 1 medium avocado
- ½ medium lime, juice
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- Salt & pepper to taste
1. Preheat oven to 350F. Shred 2 oz. Cheddar Cheese and set aside in a bowl.
2. Prep all of the vegetables – finely chop 1/2 red bell pepper and 2 spring onions.
3. Add ground chicken and vegetables to the bowl the with cheese. Chop 2 tbsp. cilantro and add to the bowl. Season with spices.
4. Juice 1/2 lime into the chicken meatball mixture, then zest the lime and add in the zest. I find it really easily with a lemon/lime juicer.
6. Roll out the meatballs as uniform as you can get them and bake for 15-18 minutes or until cooked through.
7. Make the simple guacamole by mashing together avocado, lime juice, garlic powder, and salt and pepper to taste.
8. Serve with simple guac for a delicious meal.
This makes 3 servings of Low Carb Chili Lime Meatballs. Each serving comes out to be 428.67 Calories, 29.06g Fats, 5.33g Net Carbs, and 33.8g Protein.
|Low Carb Chili Lime Meatballs||Calories||Fats(g)||Carbs(g)||Fiber(g)||Net Carbs(g)||Protein(g)|
|1 pound ground chicken (90%/10%)||641||36.29||0.18||0||0.18||78.13|
|2 tablespoons flaxseed meal||60||3.5||5||4||1||3|
|2 tablespoons almond flour||80||7||3||1.5||1.5||3|
|2 medium (24 g) green onions||6||0.11||1.38||0.4||0.98||0.23|
|½ medium (59.5) red bell pepper||18||0.18||3.59||1.2||2.39||0.59|
|2 tablespoons cilantro||0||0.01||0.07||0.07||0||0.04|
|½ teaspoon garlic powder||5||0.01||1.13||0.1||1.03||0.26|
|½ teaspoon red pepper flakes||3||0.16||0.51||0.2||0.31||0.11|
|½ medium lime zest||3||0.02||0.96||0.6||0.36||0.09|
|1 medium (44 g) lime juiced||11||0.03||3.7||0.2||3.5||0.18|
|2 ounces cheddar cheese||229||18.89||1.75||0||1.75||12.97|
|1 medium (136 g) avocado||227||20.96||11.75||9.2||2.55||2.67|
|¼ teaspoon garlic powder||3||0.01||0.56||0.1||0.46||0.13|