Creamy, delicious, and very filling! This chowder will have anyone that loves bacon, cheese, and broccoli demanding more (and I hope that’s everyone here.)
In this recipe, we’ll be using roasted broccoli. This stuff is absolutely delicious on its own, but if you don’t know how to make it: here’s the recipe. After you make it, you can set it to the side for when you add it to the chowder.
When I fed this to friends and family I actually got “gourmet restaurant quality” as feedback from one of them! They’ll normally tell me how they really feel because I’ve fed them some pretty horrid things.
Just so you all know, this chowder saves extremely well. It can be frozen and also be refrigerated for about a week. Warning: it does get a bit thick in the fridge. Almost to the point of a dip for chips. While it’s really tasty that way, you might have to microwave it so the fat melts. I’m a bit weird and enjoy things straight out of the fridge ice cold.
I use a low carb milk called Calorie Countdown for the recipe, made by Hood. I’m sure there’s other low carb milk varieties out there. I do know this one used to be called Carb Countdown. For the ones who don’t want to get it, you can sub in ½ Cup heavy cream + 1 ½ cup more chicken broth for it.
It’s a little bit carby, at almost 5g per serving (the servings are good sized though). If you want to reduce the amount of carbs, you can go with only ½ Cup heavy Cream and stick with extra chicken broth. Or you can sub out the onion for a little bit of onion powder. Granted it won’t be as creamy, but it is still just as fantastic.
As always, I really appreciate any feedback or comments you leave!
Yields 6 (¾-cup) servings of Low Carb Broccoli, Cheddar & Bacon Chowder
- 8 slices bacon, chopped
- ½ large onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons coconut flour
- 2 cups calorie countdown*
- ½ cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- ¼ cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 4 cups roasted broccoli
- 2 cups chicken broth
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ½ teaspoon salt
*Or any other low-carb milk.
1. In a large pot start to crisp some bacon over medium heat.
2. While the bacon is cooking, chop up 1/2 of an onion.
3. Once the bacon is crisp, remove it from the pan. Let it dry off on some paper towels, and remove ALL BUT 3 Tbsp. of grease from the pan.
4. Add your butter to the pan, allowing it to fry in the grease.
5. Add your onions and let them saute for about 4-5 minutes.
6. Add your garlic into the pan and allow it to be sauteed also.
7. After the onions become translucent, stir in your coconut flour. This will soak up all the fats and create a roux.
8. It should become a pretty dry mixture. Allow this to cook for about 1 minute.
9. While it is cooking, measure out 2 cups of low carb milk (Calorie Countdown), and 1/2 cup of heavy cream.
10. Add only about 1/4 of your milk and cream and stir it in well.
11. Once it starts to bubble, add in 1/2 of your remaining milk and cream. Stir well.
12. Add the rest of your milk and cream into your pot and stir well. Reduce the heat to medium low.
13. Measure out 2 cups of cheddar cheese and 1/4 cup of parmesan cheese.
14. Add it to your chowder and mix it in well.
15. Let your chowder simmer for about 2-3 minutes.
16. Add your roasted broccoli into the chowder.
17. Mix your broccoli into the chowder well, let it simmer for about 2 minutes more.
18. Add your bacon into the chowder and mix it in well.
19. Let this simmer for about 5 minutes.
20. Now it’s time to use the immersion blender.
21. Blend the chowder for as long as it takes. You want a pretty chunky consistency, but not too chunky.
22. Add all of your chicken broth and stir it in well.
23. Add your cayenne pepper and also mix it in well. You can use the immersion blender a second time to make sure everything is thoroughly combined.
24. Let this simmer for 20-30 minutes. Every 5 minutes the chicken broth will start to raise to the top. Make sure you stir it in again.
25. After 20-30 minutes it will have reduced some, becoming very creamy.
26. Serve it up and enjoy! Garnish with extra bacon if you’d like 🙂
This will make 6 (¾-cup) servings of Low Carb Broccoli, Cheddar, & Bacon Showder. Each serving comes out to be 476.83 Calories, 40.41g Fats, 7.99g Net Carbs, and 20.06g Protein.
|Low Carb Broccoli, Cheddar, & Bacon Chowder||Calories||Fats(g)||Carbs(g)||Fiber(g)||Net Carbs(g)||Protein(g)|
|8 slices bacon, chopped||355||28.04||0.87||0||0.74||23.15|
|3 tablespoons rendered bacon fat||347||38.51||0||0||0||0|
|½ large (75 g) onion, chopped||30||0.07||7||1.3||5.7||0.82|
|2 tablespoons butter||204||23.04||0.02||0||0.02||0.24|
|2 teaspoons minced garlic||8||0.03||1.85||0.1||1.75||0.36|
|2 tablespoons coconut flour||75||2.5||10.5||6.5||4||3|
|2 cups calorie countdown*||139||9.02||6||1.9||4.1||9.98|
|½ cup heavy whipping cream||405||42.94||3.26||0||3.26||3.38|
|2 cups shredded cheddar cheese||913||75.28||6.98||0||6.98||51.69|
|¼ cup shredded Parmesan cheese||105||6.96||3.48||0||3.48||7.11|
|4 cups roasted broccoli||249||14.92||25.64||10.1||15.54||17.39|
|2 cups chicken broth||30||1.05||2.19||0||2.19||3.19|
|¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper||1||0.08||0.25||0.1||0.15||0.05|