Growing up, I ate tuna casserole often. It’s probably one of my favorite comfort dinners during the winter season and thankfully it’s also super easy to keto-fy!
Now, tuna casserole is usually made with some carby vegetables such as peas. So for this recipe, I swapped those out for some keto-friendly veggies like mushrooms and a small amount of carrots. Instead of pasta noodles I used shirataki noodles, but zucchini keto noodles are also a great alternative.
The great thing about this recipe it is incredibly easy to make and preparation time takes almost no time at all. Later on, you can freeze this casserole and save it for later or take it to work!
Yields 6 servings of Keto Tuna Casserole
- 1 tablespoon butter
- ¼ cup chopped carrots
- ¼ cup chopped mushrooms
- ¼ cup chopped green onions
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- ¼ teaspoon xanthan gum
- 3 packages (226 g) shirataki noodles
- ¾ cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 can (146 g) tuna
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Optional: Almond flour
1. Melt your butter in a deep pot on medium.
2. Add in the green onions, mushrooms, and carrots.
3. Saute the veggies for 3-5 minutes. Sprinkle your xanthan gum over the vegetables.
4. Quickly add in your cream and stir. It should start thickening immediately, but keep on the heat until it starts to bubble.
5. Place your shirataki noodles in a casserole dish.
6. Stir the cream mixture into the noodles.
7. Mix in your cheddar cheese and flaked tuna.
8. Optionally, top your casserole with almond flour.
9. Bake at 350°F for 35 minutes.
This makes a total of 6 servings of Keto Tuna Casserole. Each serving comes out to be 248.5 Calories, 21.21g Fats, 3.07g Net Carbs, and 10.28g Protein.
|Keto Tuna Casserole||Calories||Fats(g)||Carbs(g)||Fiber(g)||Net Carbs(g)||Protein(g)|
|1 tablespoon butter||102||11.52||0.01||0||0.01||0.12|
|¼ cup (32 g) chopped carrots||13||0.08||3.07||0.9||2.17||0.3|
|¼ cup (17.5 g) chopped mushrooms||4||0.06||0.57||0.2||0.37||0.54|
|¼ cup (17.75 g) chopped green onions||5||0.08||1.02||0.3||0.72||0.17|
|1 cup heavy whipping cream||809||85.87||6.52||0||6.52||6.76|
|¼ teaspoon xanthan gum||0||0||0.5||0.5||0||0|
|3 packages (226g ea.) shirataki noodles||90||0||24||18||6||6|
|¾ cup shredded cheddar cheese||342||28.23||2.62||0||2.62||19.38|
|1 can (146 g) tuna||126||1.4||0||0||0||28.38|