For a quick, filling, and healthy meal, nothing beats a good sandwich. This recipe is a twist on the classic ham, cheese, and tomato sandwich by replacing the bread with chaffles to create a lower-carb, keto-friendly option.
Chaffles are cheese waffles and can be enjoyed sweet or savory and with as many toppings as you’d like. These chaffles are light, fluffy, and simple to make with only four ingredients. The egg acts as a binder to keep the chaffle together, the almond flour is a nutritious alternative to plain flour, and the mozzarella gives it that signature, cheesy flavor.
You can make the waffles in a traditional waffle maker, and if the mixture is too thick for your liking, you can add some water or milk to thin it out.
We’ve included ham, cheese, tomato, lettuce, and mayo as ingredients for that classic sandwich combo, but feel free to experiment and add in or take out elements based on your preferences. Havarti cheese is a popular choice for sandwiches as it’s slightly sweet and nutty with a subtle taste. However, cheddar, provolone, or brie also work well!
The addition of fresh tomato and lettuce gives a refreshing crunch that contrasts the salty ham and cheese. Add some mayo for sauce, and you’re good to go!
Yields 1 serving of Keto Ham & Cheese Chaffle Sandwich
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella
- 1/4 cup almond flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 ounce deli-sliced black forest ham
- 2 ounce havarti cheese
- 2 ounce fresh tomatoes, sliced
- 1 ounce romaine lettuce
- 1 tablespoon mayonnaise
1. Measure out and prepare all the ingredients. Preheat a waffle maker.
2. In a bowl, crack an egg, add the shredded mozzarella, almond flour, and baking powder. Mix until combined well.
3. Add the batter into the waffle maker.
4. Cook until “chaffles” are thoroughly done. Let them completely cool.
5. Plate one chaffle and add the sliced black forest ham, sliced tomatoes, romaine lettuce, and mayonnaise.
6. Top with the other chaffle and enjoy your keto chaffle sandwich!
This makes a total of 1 serving of Keto Ham & Cheese Chaffle Sandwich. Each serving comes out to be 804 calories, 64.4g fat, 7.5g net carbs, and 48.7g protein.
|1.00 large egg||79||5.2||0.4||0||0.4||6.9|
|0.50 cup shredded mozzarella||168||12.3||1.2||0||1.2||12.3|
|0.25 cup almond flour||162||14||6.2||3.6||2.5||5.9|
|0.25 teaspoon baking powder||1||0||0.3||0||0.3||0|
|2.00 ounce deli-sliced black forest ham||63||2.1||1.1||0||1.1||10.5|
|2.00 ounce havarti cheese||223||20.2||0||0||0||12.2|
|2.00 ounce fresh tomatoes||10||0.1||2.2||0.7||1.5||0.5|
|1.00 ounce romaine lettuce||5||0||0.9||0.6||0.3||0.4|
|1.00 tablespoon mayonnaise||94||10.3||0.1||0||0.1||0.1|
|Per Serving (/1)||804||64.4||12.4||4.9||7.5||48.7|