Ugh! I’m really sorry I’ve been so slow with updating the website lately. It’s been pretty hectic over here. My aunt and cousin came over from Spain and we all went down to Key West for a week to catch some rays and enjoy the ocean. Success!
On another front, I’m pretty much done with the cookbook. It’s in my designers hands right now and we’re almost complete with the PDF version. Next we’ll move onto the Kindle version and I’ll get it up for sale. I’m really happy with the way this one turned out (in comarison to the other, anyway). It’s nice and simple, easy to print and easy to read – I know you guys’ll enjoy it!
Now I’m back and I want to share some of the recipes I’ve been saving up (trust me, there’s a lot) and this one was on my high priority list. I made it a few weeks back but WOW it’s really like the real deal. I think using the olive oil (where we’d usually use butter) is the perfect way to throw that slightly savory sensation in cakes like some of the Italians do.
Anyways, back to the cake. The cake is very fluffy and airy on the inside. Slight and subtle hints of lemon will run throughout and it goes absolutely perfect with just whipped cream on top. If you’re feeling fancy, though, feel free to whip up the icing and slather that bad boy onto the cake (I swear it won’t look good, but it will taste awesome).
Let me know how you guys like it in the comments!
Yields 3 large cakes with icing.
Italian Sponge Cake
- 1 cup almond flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 5 large eggs, separated
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- ¼ cup erythritol
- ¼ teaspoon liquid Stevia
- ½ tablespoon lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ teaspoon cream of tartar
Raspberry Lemon Icing
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 4 tablespoons heavy cream
- 1/3 cup fresh raspberries
- ½ tablespoon lemon zest
1. Preheat your oven to 325F. Separate your 5 eggs and mix together all the dry ingredients except for the cream of tartar. That’s 1 cup Honeyville Almond Flour, 1 tsp. Baking Powder, 1/4 tsp. Salt, and 1/4 cup NOW Erythritol.
2. Mix your egg yolks with 1 tsp. Vanilla, 1 tsp. Almond Extract, and 1/4 tsp. Liquid Stevia.
3. Slowly add your dry ingredients into the wet ingredients and set aside for a moment.
4. In another mixing bowl, whip the 5 egg whites and 1/2 tsp. Cream of Tartar until still peaks form.
5. Add the zest from 1/2 a lemon into the egg whites and continue mixing again.
6. Fold all of the egg whites into the dough slowly. About 1/3 at first, and then the rest. Once your cake batter is formed, put them into cupcake molds or cake molds.
7. Bake the cakes for 25 minutes or until they’ve risen and a toothpick comes out clean.
8. While the cake is cooking, add 4 tbsp. Butter to a pan and let it melt.
9. Let it melt until it’s all the way browned.
10. Once the butter is browned, add your 4 tbsp. heavy cream and raspberries and mix together.
11. Mash the raspberries up if you need to and let the sauce reduce.
12. Let the icing cool while the cakes cool and then ice the cakes!
This made a total of 3 cakes. Each cake came out to 414 Calories, 38g Fats, 5.4g Net Carbs, and 18g Protein. With the icing, each cake came out to 634 Calories, 58.26g Fats, 7.11g Net Carbs, and 19.39g Protein. You can easily cut the cakes into halves or make them in a cupcake for easy serving!
|Italian Lemon Sponge Cake||Calories||Fats(g)||Carbs(g)||Fiber(g)||Net Carbs(g)||Protein(g)|
|1 cup almond flour||640||56||24||12||12||24|
|1 teaspoon baking powder||2||0||1.27||0||1.27||0|
|5 large eggs||358||23.77||1.8||0||1.8||31.4|
|1 teaspoon vanilla extract||12||0||0.53||0||0.53||0|
|1 teaspoon almond extract||12||0||0.53||0||0.53||0|
|¼ cup erythritol||0||0||0||0||0||0|
|¼ teaspoon liquid Stevia||0||0||0||0||0||0|
|1 tablespoon lemon zest||3||0.02||0.96||0.6||0.36||0.09|
|2 tablespoons olive oil||239||27||0||0||0||0|
|½ teaspoon cream of tartar||4||0||0.92||0||0.92||0|
|4 tablespoons butter||407||46.07||0.03||0||0.03||0.48|
|4 tablespoons heavy whipping cream||204||21.65||1.64||0||1.64||1.7|
|1/3 cup fresh raspberries||21||0.26||4.85||2.6||2.25||0.49|