What you eat depends on how fast you want to get into a ketogenic state. The more restrictive you are on your carbohydrates (e.g., less than 15g per day), the faster you will enter ketosis.
In general, here is what you should and shouldn’t eat while you are on the ketogenic diet:
Do Not Eat
- Grains – wheat, corn, rice, cereal, etc.
- Sugar – honey, agave, maple syrup, etc.
- Fruit – apples, bananas, oranges, etc.
- Tubers – potato, yams, etc.
- Meats – fish, beef, lamb, poultry, eggs, etc.
- Low Carb Vegetables – broccoli, cauliflower, spinach, kale, and other low-carb vegetables.
- High Fat Dairy – hard cheeses, high fat cream, butter, etc.
- Nuts and seeds – macadamias, walnuts, sunflower seeds, etc.
- Avocado and berries – raspberries, blackberries, and other low glycemic impact berries
- Sweeteners – stevia, erythritol, monk fruit, and other low-carb sweeteners.
- Other fats – coconut oil, high-fat salad dressing, saturated fats, etc.
To see more specific advice on what (and what not) to eat, click here.