Chicken is always something you have to scrutinize when on a ketogenic diet. From the high protein content to the low fat content, it’s something that most of us opt out of using as a staple in our diets. But, my question is why? Chicken thighs are a delicious piece of poultry that come with an added skin that you can crisp up yourself.
This adds not only a great texture in every bite, but also the ability to bring tons of flavor that chicken so easily absorbs. Cooking these skin side down in a hot cast iron skillet gets us that crunch we want, and the seasoning on the meat will give us the perfect amount of spice and taste.
The spice blend is a combination of sweet chipotle chile, floral coriander and cumin, and spicy cayenne. With just enough garlic, onion, and oregano to bring the dish together as a whole. You can do this recipe with pretty much any spices you want. Curry powder, Jamaican jerk, or even an Asian style. As long as you’re adding dry spices that can keep the chicken nice and crispy as the skin cooks, then you’re in business.
Let me know your favorite spice mix in the comments below!
Yields 12 Crispy Chipotle Chicken Thigh Halves
- 6 large (~32 oz.) bone-in chicken thighs
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ teaspoon chipotle powder
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon coriander
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon oregano
- Pinch cayenne
- Salt and Pepper to taste
1. Mix the spice blend together using all of the ingredients listed above (except for the olive oil, chicken, salt and pepper).
2. Start to de-bone the chicken thighs. Using kitchen shears, cut a direct line above the bone going through the thigh.
3. Using the scissors, cut around the bone until you can lift it out of the chicken. Make sure to get as close to the bone as possible – you don’t want too much wasted meat.
4. Cut around the end that is still attached and remove the bone from the chicken. Do this for all the chicken thighs. Cut off excess skin as needed.
5. Lay the chicken on top of paper towels. Season with salt and pepper, then with your seasonings mix. Liberall coat the chicken meat (skin side should be on the paper towel still).
6. Using a meat hammer, lightly pound the chicken to get a consistent width. You want this to cook evenly.
7. Flip the chicken over so that the skin is now facing you. Coat with salt and pepper, then cut each thigh in half.
8. Heat 1 tbsp. Olive Oil in a cast iron skillet over medium-high heat on the stove.
9. Once the pan is hot, add chicken thighs skin side down into the pan. Let this cook for 8-10 minutes. Do this in batches – half first, half afterward.
10. Cover your pan with a grease catcher to keep the excess grease from going everywhere.
11. After 8-10 minutes, flip the chicken over and cook on the other side for 2-4 minutes.
12. Optional: Wilt some spinach down in the remaining chicken fat and server with lemon to squeeze lightly over the chicken thighs.
This makes a total of 12 Crispy Chipotle Chicken Thigh Halves. Each serving is 3 halves, coming out to 597 Calories, 53.5g Fats, 1g Net Carb, and 28g Protein.
|Crispy Chipotle Chicken Thighs||Calories||Fats (g)||Carbs (g)||Fiber (g)||Net Carbs (g)||Protein (g)|
|6 Bone-in Chicken Thighs||2240||200||0||0||0||112|
|1 tbsp. Olive Oil||120||14||0||0||0||0|
|1/2 tsp. Chipotle Powder||6||0||1||0||1||0|
|1/2 tsp. Garlic Powder||5||0||1||0||1||0|
|1/2 tsp. Onion Powder||4||0||1||0||1||0|
|1/2 tsp. Coriander||4||0||1||1||0||0|
|1/2 tsp. Smoked Paprika||2||0||0||0||0||0|
|1/4 tsp. Cumin||2||0||0||0||0||0|
|1/4 tsp. Oregano||1||0||0||0||0||0|
|Salt and Pepper to Taste||2||0||0||0||0||0|
|Per Serving ( /4 )||596.75||53.5||1||0.25||0.75||28|