I had been fairly slim most of my adult life, and could lose easily by cutting carbs. However, menopause brought with it a 50 pound weight gain that proved very resistant to any effort I made. I tried WW, Atkins, Dukan, among other diets plans.
I started utilizing Keto and IF on 12/26. The first week was an adjustment period, but hunger was not NEARLY as bad as it has been on the many other diets I have tried. I was able to lose 25 pounds in the first 3 months! Over the ensuing 5 months, I dropped another 30 pounds and achieved my goal weight of 145!
I have been in a maintenance phase since the beginning of September and have kept my weight within 2 lbs of 145 by continuing the IF and limiting my net carbs most days of the week–which allows me to splurge now and again. I find that if I eat too many carbs (especially sugar), I do not feel well at all, so there is a built-in control system!
Keto and IF have changed my life!
1. What tactics did you employ to help you get to your goal? What did you find helped you get to your goals best?
I used keto, IF (16:8) and a calorie deficit. I did start out at a weight loss clinic which basically recommended these, and I had some previous success with low-carb diets.
2. What is the most impactful change you’ve made to your diet and why do you feel it’s been the most important?
I believe the IF made the biggest difference as it was new to me. Also, I had done both carb-restriction and calorie restriction before, though not together. That also made things work better.
3. What is the best single piece of advice you can give to someone that is just starting out?
Realize that, if you want to keep the weight off, you will need to limit your carbs for your whole life. Once in maintenance, you can splurge now and again, but overall need to find your “sweet spot” as far as net carb intake per day. Mine seems to be 35-40 and I stick to that 90% of the time.
4. How do you feel your life is now that you’re at your goal?
I feel inspired to make other meaningful changes in my life since I have been successful in achieving my goal weight!
5. What do you consider the biggest change in your day-to-day life?
I love the way clothes fit me now, so I dress up even to go to the store now! Since I have to wear scrubs to work, I like to look nice at other times when I go out! I’ve even started getting Stitch Fix, something I had wanted to do but didn’t due to my weight.
6. What did you do to find support throughout your journey?
As I mentioned I was going to a weight loss clinic. This gave me incredible support!
7. What do you currently do to manage your day-to-day diet?
I still track everything I eat on different apps. I try to stay under 1500 calories and 40 net carbs with a macro ratio near 60% Fat/15% Carb/25% Protein. I also drink a minimum of 96 oz of water.
8. What is your favorite keto recipe from www.ruled.me that’s become a staple?
By far the Keto Bacon Burger Bombs!
9. If there is one thing that you could do differently during your journey, what would it be and why?
I would have cut alcohol out entirely and it would have quickened my weight loss. I love wine, but I limited my intake, in preference to carb-free vodka soda when I DID drink.